From: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: relationship of cached msg to the original msg
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:58:46 +0100	[thread overview]

tbennett@nvidia.com (Tony E. Bennett) writes:

> It now looks like the msg is not deleted when put into the cache,
> just that 'tick' is cleared and msg becomes 'O' which makes it
> not show up in my default summary.  Tick'ing it again after this
> looks fine until I exit group and re-enter.  Cached article is
> still not ticked.

=8-{

It seems I might not be able to reproduce this because I never use
another IMAP client to access the group.  Maybe the other IMAP client
removes the tick mark (known as \Flagged or `important' in other IMAP
clients, I think) and then Gnus picks up this change.  If the article
is not present on the server anymore, then of course this will not
happen since the other IMAP client doesn't see the message anymore.

> I have gnus-use-cache set to 'passive.  Setting it to t does not
> change this behavior.

Right.  I didn't pay close enough attention -- you're using more than
one client.

> Should cache'd articles preserve tick state of the original?
> Or is tick state saved w/ original article only and lost when
> original article is deleted?

I'm not sure what happens.

I do know that cached articles that are NOT present on the server can
be ticked, therefore the ticked status must be stored outside the
server -- at least in some cases.

> Basically, I just want the summary to default to unread, ticked
> and cached articles.  Maybe there is a better way to do this...

You can type `/ *' to show all the cached articles.  Does this do
what you want?  You can surely tell Gnus to hit `/ *' for you when
you enter a group.  I had a Lisp snippet that did this, if you want I
can try to find it again.

kai