* Set gnus-message-archive-group depending on the From: header
@ 2010-10-23 16:14 Marcin
From: Marcin @ 2010-10-23 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Gnus users,

It seems this should be a trivial question but I have not managed to find an
answer to it. What I want is really simple: I would like to save my sent
messages depending on what address I send them from. I guess I could use
something like:

(eval (gnus-message-archive-group 'foo))

as part of my posting-styles but  this will not work if I change the From header
on the fly, e.g. via gnus-alias (I understand this is the right tool for the
job, and can be used in combination with posting-styles). Any ideas how I could
do that?

Best,
Marcin

* Re: Set gnus-message-archive-group depending on the From: header
@ 2010-10-23 23:52 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-10-23 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It seems this should be a trivial question but I have not managed to find an
> answer to it. What I want is really simple: I would like to save my sent
> messages depending on what address I send them from. I guess I could use
> something like:

> (eval (gnus-message-archive-group 'foo))

> as part of my posting-styles but this will not work if I change the
> From header on the fly, e.g. via gnus-alias (I understand this is
> the right tool for the job, and can be used in combination with
> posting-styles). Any ideas how I could do that?

It's been ages since I've used it so I no longer have example code, but I used to have a lambda in message-send-hook that would set the GCC header based on the To address.  Would be easy enough to do a similar concept to base on From.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Set gnus-message-archive-group depending on the From: header
@ 2010-10-24  1:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-24  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Marcin <mwlodarczak@gmail.com> writes:

> as part of my posting-styles but this will not work if I change the
> From header on the fly, e.g. via gnus-alias (I understand this is the
> right tool for the job, and can be used in combination with
> posting-styles). Any ideas how I could do that?

You could just put something in `message-send-hook' to alter the Gcc
based on whatever.

* Re: Set gnus-message-archive-group depending on the From: header
@ 2010-10-24  8:52   ` Marcin
From: Marcin @ 2010-10-24  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi <at> gnus.org> writes:
> Marcin <mwlodarczak <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > as part of my posting-styles but this will not work if I change the
> > From header on the fly, e.g. via gnus-alias (I understand this is the
> > right tool for the job, and can be used in combination with
> > posting-styles). Any ideas how I could do that?
>
> You could just put something in `message-send-hook' to alter the Gcc
> based on whatever.

OK, thanks. One more question though: how do I get the  current From line to
match against?

@ 2010-10-24 13:14     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-10-24 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> You could just put something in `message-send-hook' to alter the Gcc
>> based on whatever.

> OK, thanks. One more question though: how do I get the  current From line to
> match against?

Look at mail-fetch-field and, possibly, mail-extract-address-components, depending on how you try to do the match.