* sorting threads in digests by number, not date
@ 2011-11-28 20:25 Ted Stern
From: Ted Stern @ 2011-11-28 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I sort my summary threads as follows:

;; More logical ordering within thread:
(setq gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)

;;
;; Like Gmail:  bubble most recently active threads to the bottom:
;;
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '(
        (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
        ))

This is helpful to me because I get mail forwarded from a variety of
servers, and frequently the dates are out of order.

However, when I use C-d to read a digest, I want to read the
individual messages by number, not date.

Is there a way to modify these sort functions to sort by number when
I'm reading a digest?

Ted
--
 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal

* Re: sorting threads in digests by number, not date
@ 2011-11-30  3:54 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-11-30  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I sort my summary threads as follows:
> ;; More logical ordering within thread:
> (setq gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date)

> ;;
> ;; Like Gmail:  bubble most recently active threads to the bottom:
> ;;
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
>       '(
>         (not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date)
>         ))

> This is helpful to me because I get mail forwarded from a variety of
> servers, and frequently the dates are out of order.

> However, when I use C-d to read a digest, I want to read the
> individual messages by number, not date.

> Is there a way to modify these sort functions to sort by number when
> I'm reading a digest?

Yes.  Here is my gnus-parameters setting:

(setq gnus-parameters '(("nndoc:.*"
                                 (gnus-show-threads nil)
                                 (gnus-article-sort-functions
                                  (list 'gnus-article-sort-by-number)))
			("nnrss:.*"
                                 (mm-discouraged-alternatives nil)
                                 (gnus-article-sort-functions
                                  '(gnus-article-sort-by-number))
                                 (gnus-show-threads nil)
                                 (total-expire . t))))

which you can modify to suit your needs.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net