From: Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: smtpmail failure
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:20:47 -0500	[thread overview]

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:47:59 +0100 Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@gmx.net> wrote:
>> With one of my email accounts I've been unable to send mail using Gnus
> [...]
>> with KMail I
>> can send mail from this account.  KMail has a configuration function
>> that check what kind of authentification the server supports, and for
>> this account it says the server supports SSL encryption and either LOGIN
>> or PLAIN authentification, and it changes the port from 25 to 465.
>> Since the smptmail manual says LOGIN authentification is supported, and
>> since it works with KMail, I do not understand why it fails with Gnus.
>> Have I failed to set a necessary variable?  Is there another way to send
>> mail with Gnus via an SMTP server?  I would be grateful for any help.

> Does nobody have an idea why smptmail fails?  Or any suggestions about
> how I could try to track down the source of the failure?  I would rather
> use Gnus than KMail.

It appears that your mail server wants to use SSL.  The smtpmail.el in
XEmacs appears to support this provided you have an external program
(starttls) available.  My own mail server doesn't do it so I have
nothing to test with.  I suggest taking a look through your
smtpmail.el and see what you need to do to support SSL and trying
that.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net