* importing an old gnus dir hierarchy
@ 2002-11-06 17:07 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-11-06 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an old gnus nnml directory hierarchy that I'd like to "import"
into my current gnus.  I'd like to turn these nnml dirs:

   /billw/Mail-work/archive/2001-09
   /billw/Mail-work/archive/2001-10
   /billw/Mail-work/archive/2001-11
   /billw/Mail-work/mail/misc/2001-10
   /billw/Mail-work/mail/misc/2001-10-29
   /billw/Mail-work/mail/misc/2001-12
   /billw/Mail-work/mbox
   /billw/Mail-work/oct-2001-outgoing
   /billw/Mail-work/wri-bookdev
   /billw/Mail-work/wri-cvspubs
   /billw/Mail-work/wri/pubs

into these (or similarly-named) groups in my current gnus:

   nnml:billw.Mail-work.archive.2001-09
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.archive.2001-10
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.archive.2001-11
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.mail.misc.2001-10
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.mail.misc.2001-10-29
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.mail.misc.2001-12
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.mbox
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.oct-2001-outgoing
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.wri-bookdev
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.wri-cvspubs
   nnml:billw.Mail-work.wri.pubs

Is there some easy way to do this besides setting up an nndir group
for each directory?  If there is, I'd like to do this more often with
more old dirs.

Thanks!

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: importing an old gnus dir hierarchy
@ 2002-11-07  7:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-07  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I have an old gnus nnml directory hierarchy that I'd like to "import"
> into my current gnus.

So the old hierarchy already has .overview files?  Then it should be
as easy as creating a new nnml server which looks at the right
directory.  I think you need to frob not only nnml-directory but also
nnml-active-file for the server:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnml "billw"
               (nnml-directory "/billw/Mail-work")
               (nnml-active-file "/billw/Mail-work/active")))

This will give you nnml+billw:archive.2001-09 and so on.  Please
check where your active file is.  Maybe if you don't have it, you can
use M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases RET to create it.

Hm.  Coming to think of it, I think you can just use M-x
nnml-generate-nov-databases RET (or `g' on the server from the server
buffer) to generate the .overview files, as well.  So just the
articles are important.

kai