* where is sent mail stored in this situation?
@ 2011-10-21 22:38 prad
From: prad @ 2011-10-21 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

i have things setup so that any emails i send (including replies) goes
right back into my inbox. this is nice because i can follow threads that
way.

however, if i do a mairix search and then reply to something from within
that search, it doesn't go into my inbox. in fact, i don't know where it
goes?

is there a default location where gnus keeps sent emails?

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: where is sent mail stored in this situation?
@ 2011-10-22  4:45 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-10-22  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Oct 22 2011,prad  wrote:

> i have things setup so that any emails i send (including replies) goes
> right back into my inbox. this is nice because i can follow threads that
> way.
>
> however, if i do a mairix search and then reply to something from within
> that search, it doesn't go into my inbox. in fact, i don't know where it
> goes?
>
> is there a default location where gnus keeps sent emails?

isn't there a GCC header when you reply/send emails?  That points to,
for me,

       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-05
       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-06
       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-07
       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-08
       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-09
       0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-10

You may want to check the following too

gnus-message-archive-group
  Variable: *Name of the group in which to save the messages you've written.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-version custom-type custom-requests
gnus-message-archive-method
  Variable: *Method used for archiving messages you've sent.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
gnus-update-message-archive-method
  Variable: Non-nil means always update the saved "archive" method.
  Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-version custom-type custom-requests
mail-archive-file-name
  Variable: Name of file to write all outgoing messages in, or nil for none.
  Plist: variable-documentation custom-autoload custom-loads

 sivaram

* Re: where is sent mail stored in this situation?
@ 2011-10-22  6:22   ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-10-22  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 22 2011,prad  wrote:
>
>> i have things setup so that any emails i send (including replies) goes
>> right back into my inbox. this is nice because i can follow threads that
>> way.
>>
>> however, if i do a mairix search and then reply to something from within
>> that search, it doesn't go into my inbox. in fact, i don't know where it
>> goes?
>>
>> is there a default location where gnus keeps sent emails?
>
> isn't there a GCC header when you reply/send emails?  That points to,
> for me,
>
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-05
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-06
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-07
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-08
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-09
>        0: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-10
>
> You may want to check the following too
>
> gnus-message-archive-group
>   Variable: *Name of the group in which to save the messages you've written.
>   Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-version custom-type custom-requests
> gnus-message-archive-method
>   Variable: *Method used for archiving messages you've sent.
>   Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-type custom-requests
> gnus-update-message-archive-method
>   Variable: Non-nil means always update the saved "archive" method.
>   Plist: standard-value variable-documentation custom-version custom-type custom-requests
> mail-archive-file-name
>   Variable: Name of file to write all outgoing messages in, or nil for none.
>   Plist: variable-documentation custom-autoload custom-loads
>

>  sivaram
>  --

thx for all this sivaram!

there is no GCC header and this may be why:

(setq gnus-parameters
      '(("Mail:.*" ;"^nnimap\\+Mail:INBOX"
         (gcc-self . t))))

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
     	'((if (message-news-p)
     	      "news"
     	    nil)))

in my .gnus file

the first item sends any mail from Mail: i send to my inbox.
the second seems to store what i send to news if it is news and does
nothing otherwise.

so since what i'm replying to from the mairix search isn't from Mail:,
it seems i've left nowhere for it to go.

it shows up in ~/News/drafts/drafts regardless, but then vanishes. :(

i think my above reasoning is correct, though i'm not sure.

(the mail-archive-file-name value shows nil as well)

--

@ 2011-10-23 16:08     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prad; +Cc: ding

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

Hi,

> there is no GCC header and this may be why:
>
> (setq gnus-parameters
>       '(("Mail:.*" ;"^nnimap\\+Mail:INBOX"
>          (gcc-self . t))))

> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>      	'((if (message-news-p)
>      	      "news"
>      	    nil)))
>
> in my .gnus file
>
> the first item sends any mail from Mail: i send to my inbox.  the
> second seems to store what i send to news if it is news and does
> nothing otherwise.
>
> so since what i'm replying to from the mairix search isn't from Mail:,
> it seems i've left nowhere for it to go.

Yep, you are right.  You explicitly tell gnus not to archive sent mail,
only news.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: where is sent mail stored in this situation?
@ 2011-10-23 17:25       ` prad
From: prad @ 2011-10-23 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
>> there is no GCC header and this may be why:
>>
>> (setq gnus-parameters
>>       '(("Mail:.*" ;"^nnimap\\+Mail:INBOX"
>>          (gcc-self . t))))

>> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>>      	'((if (message-news-p)
>>      	      "news"
>>      	    nil)))
>>
>> in my .gnus file
>>
>> the first item sends any mail from Mail: i send to my inbox.  the
>> second seems to store what i send to news if it is news and does
>> nothing otherwise.
>>
>> so since what i'm replying to from the mairix search isn't from Mail:,
>> it seems i've left nowhere for it to go.
>
> Yep, you are right.  You explicitly tell gnus not to archive sent mail,
> only news.

thx tassilo.
i'd found a temporary fix yesterday simply by changing the
nil
misc-mail

so that sent emails went to ~/Mail/archive/misc-mail.

i also tried unsuccessfully to have it go back into the inbox (which is
where i'd like it to go since that's where my regular sent mail ends
up), but it seems
gnus-message-archive-group
requires a file name not something like
nnimap+Mail:

it's different from the gnus-parameters variable.

so that's what i'm going to work on next.

--

@ 2011-10-24  2:34         ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-10-24  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> thx tassilo.
> i'd found a temporary fix yesterday simply by changing the
> nil
> misc-mail

> so that sent emails went to ~/Mail/archive/misc-mail.

> i also tried unsuccessfully to have it go back into the inbox (which is
> where i'd like it to go since that's where my regular sent mail ends
> up), but it seems
> gnus-message-archive-group
> requires a file name not something like
> nnimap+Mail:

you might want to take a look at gnus-message-archive-method as well as gnus-message-archive-group.  However, the documentation says that gnus-message-archive-group should do the right thing with a fully qualified group name such as nnimap+Mail:inbox; if it doesn't you should probably report it as a bug.  Setting it to nnml:inbox seems to work fine for me.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net