From: kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: Lisp pointer size warning?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:51:29 +0200	[thread overview]

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> Ever since I upgraded to Gnus 5.10.2 I've been getting these annoying
> messages, I never got them before (I ran ognus 0.17 before upgrading).
>
>     Warning: memory in use exceeds lisp pointer size
>     Killing some buffers may delay running out of memory.
>     However, certainly by the time you receive the 95% warning,
>     you should clean up, kill this Emacs, and start a new one.
>
> They are very bothersome. What can I do about it? Something that has
> changed that affects them?

I also get similar errors.  After them, Emacs usually becomes
unusable.

RMS advises to run Emacs under the debugger, to set a breakpoint in
memory_full, and to get a Lisp-level backtrace whenever the
breakpoint is hit, to find out why so much memory is needed.  Also
see the file etc/DEBUG for more information on debugging.  An Emacs
source tree is useful for this.

I've tried to do this, but got no real results.  The breakpoint
wasn't hit when I was looking, and when the memory was full, it was
too late to see anything interesting by attaching gdb to the Emacs
process.

Maybe you could try to find out something?

(I'm suspecting the Agent somehow -- I get the memory full thing
after doing `J s'.  But I have no idea what's happening.  Maybe I
b0rked the internal data structures and now Gnus is punishing me.)
--
This line is not blank.