From: david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg)
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Any way to captuer smtp output when sending mail?
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:10:56 -0400	[thread overview]

> How would I go about sending mail in such a way as to capture the smtp
> output like one can do with `mailx -v'

> I'd like to collect that smtp output in a buffer as I send mail.

What is your outgoing email setup?  As another poster noted, if you use smtpmail (as I do) you can set smtpmail-debug-info and smtpmail-debug-verb to t to get a trace buffer each time you send a message (it gets overwritten for each one, though, so be prepared to save it off if you need the record).

However, there are other ways to configure emacs to send mail and the fact that you are not finding that variable suggests you may be using one of them.  Most likely is sendmail since I think that's the default, in which case you may find you have a buffer named " sendmail errors" that has the trace in it.  You might also want to take a look at the mail-interactive variable.  If it's nil I don't think you get the trace.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net