* gnus / gpg agent interaction after upgrade to Fedora 23
@ 2016-01-18  4:02 Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2016-01-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've read through the stuff in Bugzilla and a couple other posts.  I get that in Fedora 23 the Gnome password manager no longer manages gpg keys and that gpg-agent is now running separately.  That's OK for working with gpg2 on the command line, but I can't figure out how to get it to work with Gnus (latest git) and Emacs 24.5.1 as distributed with Fedora 23.  I've installed the pinentry-gnome3 and pinentry-emacs packages but whenever Gnus needs to go to, say, .authinfo.gpg, I'm prompted for my passphrase in the minibuffer which works, except that the key is subsequently closed and any subsequent need to get into that file results in another prompt.  What am I missing?

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: gnus / gpg agent interaction after upgrade to Fedora 23
@ 2016-01-18  4:06 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2016-01-18  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

> I've read through the stuff in Bugzilla and a couple other posts.  I get
> that in Fedora 23 the Gnome password manager no longer manages gpg keys
> and that gpg-agent is now running separately.  That's OK for working
> with gpg2 on the command line, but I can't figure out how to get it to
> work with Gnus (latest git) and Emacs 24.5.1 as distributed with Fedora
> 23.  I've installed the pinentry-gnome3 and pinentry-emacs packages but
> whenever Gnus needs to go to, say, .authinfo.gpg, I'm prompted for my
> passphrase in the minibuffer which works, except that the key is
> subsequently closed and any subsequent need to get into that file
> results in another prompt.  What am I missing?

Try (setq epg-gpg-program "gpg2").  By default, I think it uses gpg, which
is not compatible with the gpg-agent that comes with gpg2.

That fixed it for me, at least.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: gnus / gpg agent interaction after upgrade to Fedora 23
@ 2016-01-18  4:36   ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2016-01-18  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:
>
>> I've read through the stuff in Bugzilla and a couple other posts.  I get
>> that in Fedora 23 the Gnome password manager no longer manages gpg keys
>> and that gpg-agent is now running separately.  That's OK for working
>> with gpg2 on the command line, but I can't figure out how to get it to
>> work with Gnus (latest git) and Emacs 24.5.1 as distributed with Fedora
>> 23.  I've installed the pinentry-gnome3 and pinentry-emacs packages but
>> whenever Gnus needs to go to, say, .authinfo.gpg, I'm prompted for my
>> passphrase in the minibuffer which works, except that the key is
>> subsequently closed and any subsequent need to get into that file
>> results in another prompt.  What am I missing?
>
> Try (setq epg-gpg-program "gpg2").  By default, I think it uses gpg, which
> is not compatible with the gpg-agent that comes with gpg2.
>
> That fixed it for me, at least.

That solves it.  Thanks!

--

@ 2016-02-06  5:53   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-06  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: ding

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> writes:

> Try (setq epg-gpg-program "gpg2").  By default, I think it uses gpg, which
> is not compatible with the gpg-agent that comes with gpg2.
>
> That fixed it for me, at least.

Should the default here be changed?  I'm not very familiar with the epg
stuff...

That is, if pgp2 exists on the system, should that be the default value?

* Re: gnus / gpg agent interaction after upgrade to Fedora 23
@ 2016-02-06  8:24     ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2016-02-06  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Russ Allbery, ding

Lars Ingebrigtsen [2016-02-06 16:53:10+11] wrote:

> Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> writes:
>> Try (setq epg-gpg-program "gpg2"). By default, I think it uses gpg,
>> which is not compatible with the gpg-agent that comes with gpg2.

> Should the default here be changed? I'm not very familiar with the epg
> stuff...
>
> That is, if pgp2 exists on the system, should that be the default
> value?

I think yes. Currently (as in Emacs branch emacs-25) it's this:

    (defcustom epg-gpg-program (cond ((executable-find "gpg") "gpg")
                                     ((executable-find "gpg2") "gpg2")
                                     (t "gpg"))
      "The `gpg' executable."
      :group 'epg
      :type 'string)

I suggest this:

    (defcustom epg-gpg-program (cond ((executable-find "gpg2") "gpg2")
                                     (t "gpg"))
      "The `gpg' executable."
      :group 'epg
      :type 'string)

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gnus / gpg agent interaction after upgrade to Fedora 23
@ 2016-02-06 18:17       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2016-02-06 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, ding

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen [2016-02-06 16:53:10+11] wrote:

>> Should the default here be changed? I'm not very familiar with the epg
>> stuff...

>> That is, if pgp2 exists on the system, should that be the default
>> value?

> I think yes.

Yup, I agree.

--

@ 2016-02-07  2:02         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-07  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Allbery; +Cc: Teemu Likonen, ding

Russ Allbery <eagle@eyrie.org> writes:

> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>> Lars Ingebrigtsen [2016-02-06 16:53:10+11] wrote:
>
>>> Should the default here be changed? I'm not very familiar with the epg
>>> stuff...
>
>>> That is, if pgp2 exists on the system, should that be the default
>>> value?
>
>> I think yes.
>
> Yup, I agree.

Ok; I've now changed the default in emacs-25.