From: kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: emacs.gnus
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 19:34:23 +0200	[thread overview]

Hanak David <dhanak@inf.bme.hu> writes:

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> Hanak David <dhanak@inf.bme.hu> writes:
>>
>>> That sounds perfectly reasonable.  But what do I have to do to assign all
>>> copyrights to the FSF?  (I've checked the FSF homepage, but haven't found
>>> the HOW, only the WHY.)
>>
>> Sent by private mail.
>
> Thanks, request submitted, waiting.  (Boy, this is complicated!)

Wait till you find out about German bureaucracy....

>> I think that it is okay for the function to return t.  The Gnus
>> manual also has some stuff on how the nnchoke-request-foo functions
>> work.  In particular, see the node (gnus)Back End Interface, which
>
> Ah.  I must remember to RTFM before asking stupid questions and making even
> more stupid suggestions.

It's not easy to RTFM because it's long.

>> I think the right thing to do is to use the existing function.
>
> Yep, we agree.  Although this way we loose efficiency, because first we
> print the article list into the nntp buffer and then reparse this buffer
> and convert it back to a list.

Yes, it appears inconvenient, but consider the other backends.  In
particular, NNTP.

Hm.

We could still offer two alternative functions,
nnchoke-request-group-articles and nnchoke-get-group-articles-list,
say.  Then gnus-get-group-articles could call the latter if it
exists, and the former if not.

Sounds like a plan.  WDYT?

A remark on the code: you could try to delete junk from the beginning
and the end of the buffer, giving you just the list of numbers.  Then
you add "(" at the beginning and ")" at the end (sans quotes).  Then
you go to the "(" and invoke `read', and lo! there's your list.

The Emacs Lisp reader is not quite as powerful as the Common Lisp
reader, but still it's a nifty tool, not to be underestimated.

> P.S.: I'm begginning to think that it would have taken you less time to
> implement the idea yourself than to instruct me how to do it. ;-)  Thanks
> for "investing" in me.

Thank YOU for contributing!

--
This line is not blank.