* iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-17 15:59 Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2003-02-17 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently started receiving e-mails from more and more people
using iso-8859-15, it seems like my Gnus can't understand them
with my current setup.

All åäö's (for example) (swedish aao with dots over them) just
appears as ? in the e-mails.

Is there some setting I need to tweak to make Gnus understand
iso-8859-15 aswell as iso-8859-1 and other charsets? Any hints
on what to look for/at?

/ahnberg.

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-18  3:55 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-02-18  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> All åäö's (for example) (swedish aao with dots over them) just
> appears as ? in the e-mails.
>
> Is there some setting I need to tweak to make Gnus understand
> iso-8859-15 aswell as iso-8859-1 and other charsets? Any hints
> on what to look for/at?

My guess is that it's a font problem.

* What do you get if you place point on one of the characters and type
  `C-u C-x ='?

* Can you display iso-8859-15 in the rest of Emacs?  Try:

  `M-x list-charset-chars RET latin-iso8859-15 RET'

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-18  8:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-18  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> I've recently started receiving e-mails from more and more people
> using iso-8859-15, it seems like my Gnus can't understand them
> with my current setup.
>
> All åäö's (for example) (swedish aao with dots over them) just
> appears as ? in the e-mails.

The question marks appear on a terminal if the terminal can't display
the character in question.  For a tty, you can use latin1-disp.el
(which is wrongly named, I think) to display characters from various
charsets.

Or is this under X11?
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-18 20:47   ` Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2003-02-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> "JH" == Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

JH> My guess is that it's a font problem.

The only thing that should differ iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 is the
Euro character, afaik. If I can show iso-8859-1 without _any_
problems, how could that be a font problem?

I'm connecting to my machines and running Emacs through SecureCRT
so I'm not in a console or X, although the result is the exact
same one in X aswell.

JH> * What do you get if you place point on one of the characters and type
JH>   `C-u C-x ='?

    character: ? (07545, 3941, 0xf65)
      charset: latin-iso8859-15 (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 9 (ISO/IEC 8859-15): ISO-IR-20$
   code point: 101
       syntax: word
     category: l:Latin
  buffer code: 0x8E 0xE5
    file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1
terminal code: not encodable

/ahnberg.

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-18 21:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

>>> "JH" == Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
> JH> My guess is that it's a font problem.
>
> The only thing that should differ iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 is the
> Euro character, afaik.

There are more differences.

> If I can show iso-8859-1 without _any_ problems, how could that be a
> font problem?

Please note that iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 are different charsets to
Emacs, and Emacs does not have the concept of "similar" charsets.

If your terminal uses iso-8859-1 and you have a buffer containing a
character from another charset (be it iso-8859-2 or iso-8859-15 or
gb2312 or UTF-8), Emacs considers it different and shows `?'
instead.  (Emacs has special treatment for ascii characters, so these
can be displayed from any charset that's a superset of ascii.)

You can use latin1-disp.el to teach Emacs about the concept of
"similar" charsets.

The font issue is irrelevant for ttys.
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-19  0:19       ` Mattias Ahnberg
From: Mattias Ahnberg @ 2003-02-19  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> "KG" == Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> writes:

KG> There are more differences.

*nods* I just read about them.

KG> Please note that iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 are different charsets
KG> to Emacs, and Emacs does not have the concept of "similar"
KG> charsets.

Ok, I just thought it would be illogical if it would've been a font
issue. But perhaps because I am not used to the idea of emacs and
various charsets in this way.

KG> If your terminal uses iso-8859-1 and you have a buffer containing
KG> a character from another charset (be it iso-8859-2 or iso-8859-15
KG> or gb2312 or UTF-8), Emacs considers it different and shows `?'
KG> instead.  (Emacs has special treatment for ascii characters, so
KG> these can be displayed from any charset that's a superset of
KG> ascii.)

Ok. But how do I solve the issue so that Emacs can understand both
iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15 in the same "terminal"? I get most e-mails
in iso-8859-1 charset, but a select few in iso-8859-15, there must be
some way to allow me to see both without problems with this.

I just don't understand where to start looking or what the problem
is that needs to be fixed.

KG> You can use latin1-disp.el to teach Emacs about the concept of
KG> "similar" charsets.

I've loaded latin1-disp without much happening to differ from what I
experienced to begin with. I read the .el file but didn't notice what
would affect me, latin1-display-sets variable contains both Latin-1
and Latin-9, which should cover the two I've mentioned above.

/ahnberg.

* Re: iso-8859-1 problems.
@ 2003-02-19 10:59         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-19 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mattias Ahnberg <mattias@ahnberg.pp.se> writes:

> I've loaded latin1-disp without much happening to differ from what I
> experienced to begin with. I read the .el file but didn't notice what
> would affect me, latin1-display-sets variable contains both Latin-1
> and Latin-9, which should cover the two I've mentioned above.

Does this mean your questions are answered now?

(I hope I didn't imply that just loading the *.el file would
magically solve any problems.  I meant to read the documentation :-)

--
A turnip curses Elvis