* Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
@ 2012-03-14 15:35 Angel de Vicente
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-03-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works fine,
but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the From
header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
acomplish that?

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
@ 2012-03-14 15:39 ` Tassilo Horn
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-03-14 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

Hi!

> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works
> fine, but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the
> From header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
> acomplish that?

Simply set point on the group whose posting style you want to use, and
then hit `C-u m' instead of only `m'.  Or hit `C-u 1 m', and Gnus will
query you for the group whose posting style you want to use.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
@ 2012-03-14 15:41 ` Greg Troxel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Troxel @ 2012-03-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: ding

  I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
  mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works fine,
  but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the From
  header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
  address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
  section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
  acomplish that?

You forgot to include the content of gnus-posting-styles :-)

Are you using "a" from the group buffer, or explicitly creating a mail
message?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
@ 2012-03-14 15:58   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-03-14 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
>> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works
>> fine, but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the
>> From header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
>> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
>> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
>> acomplish that?
>
> Simply set point on the group whose posting style you want to use, and
> then hit `C-u m' instead of only `m'.  Or hit `C-u 1 m', and Gnus will
> query you for the group whose posting style you want to use.

This is for a mailing list, not a newsgroup. I get the mails through my
regular IMAP mail, and when replying the From address is changed OK,
thanks to the following rule in my gnus-posting-styles

((header "to" ".*visit-users.*") (address "angel.....@gmail.com"))

So I don't think your idea would work? In any case, even for a post to a
newsgroup, I don't seem go get the headers modified if I use C-u m or
C-u 1 m

Thanks for your help,
--

@ 2012-03-14 15:59   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-03-14 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com> writes:
> You forgot to include the content of gnus-posting-styles :-)

I included the relevan line in a new post.

> Are you using "a" from the group buffer, or explicitly creating a mail
> message?

Explicitly creating a mail message, as this is not a post to a
newsgroup, just a regular mail.

Cheers,
--

@ 2012-03-14 16:06     ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2012-03-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
>>> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works
>>> fine, but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the
>>> From header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
>>> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
>>> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
>>> acomplish that?
>>
>> Simply set point on the group whose posting style you want to use, and
>> then hit `C-u m' instead of only `m'.  Or hit `C-u 1 m', and Gnus will
>> query you for the group whose posting style you want to use.
>
> This is for a mailing list, not a newsgroup. I get the mails through my
> regular IMAP mail, and when replying the From address is changed OK,
> thanks to the following rule in my gnus-posting-styles
>
> ((header "to" ".*visit-users.*") (address "angel.....@gmail.com"))
>
> So I don't think your idea would work? In any case, even for a post to a
> newsgroup, I don't seem go get the headers modified if I use C-u m or
> C-u 1 m

I read lists in IMAP, with them pre-filtered into IMAP folders.  So they
are also 'groups' in gnus.

@ 2012-03-14 16:25       ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2012-03-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com> writes:

> Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Simply set point on the group whose posting style you want to use, and
>>> then hit `C-u m' instead of only `m'.  Or hit `C-u 1 m', and Gnus will
>>> query you for the group whose posting style you want to use.
>>
>> This is for a mailing list, not a newsgroup. I get the mails through my
>> regular IMAP mail, and when replying the From address is changed OK,
>> thanks to the following rule in my gnus-posting-styles
>>
>> ((header "to" ".*visit-users.*") (address "angel.....@gmail.com"))
>>
>> So I don't think your idea would work? In any case, even for a post to a
>> newsgroup, I don't seem go get the headers modified if I use C-u m or
>> C-u 1 m
>
> I read lists in IMAP, with them pre-filtered into IMAP folders.  So they
> are also 'groups' in gnus.

Ah, OK, I see. With a rule like

(".*VisIt" (address "angel.......@gmail.com"))

then C-u 1 m or C-u m work as explained, but I was hoping for a way of
firing this rule when I start a new message (command 'm') from anywhere
in my group buffer, after completion of the line To: includes something
like .*visit-users.* (or just starting a mail from within BBDB (command
'm'), which I regularly use for composing mails).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--

@ 2012-03-15  3:56 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-03-15  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,

Hello,

> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works fine,
> but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the From
> header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
> acomplish that?

When replying, there should be some header indicating whom are
you replying, or the Subject may contain "Re:".  Without that the
message is probable a new one.

Hope it helps.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-19  0:17 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2012-03-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works fine,
> but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the From
> header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
> acomplish that?

Sorry, i'm very old-fashion. I just do re-type on screen.
After delete the address with back-space key. Though, it is a style.

Byung-Hee

--
ㄱㅅㅎㄴㄷ!

* Re: Something like gnus-posting-styles for new mails?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-19  0:34 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2012-03-19  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have modified gnus-posting-styles so that I will use an alternative
> mail address when replying to a certain mailing list and it works fine,
> but I would like that when I compose a new mail to that list the From
> header is also "automagically" modified to that alternative mail
> address. I didn't find anything obvious in the gnus-posting-styles
> section in the manual (or surroundings). Is there an easy way to
> acomplish that?

Two possibilities I'm aware of: develop a function for message-send-hook that modifies (more likely replaces) the From address based the To; or decide to only generate messages to that list from within a group you've set up for it.  In that case I believe you can use the posting-style parameter to set up the From address however you like.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net