From: Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: exploring levels 5 and 6 of subscribedness
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:38:16 -0500	[thread overview]

>>>>> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:25:06 +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org said:

> There is
> S l	gnus-group-set-current-level
> but no
>         gnus-group-show-current-level

There is gnus-group-group-level, but that's not an interactive function for some reason.  A long time ago I had put a wrapper for it in my init.el but it apparently fell out of use because I see I no longer have it there.

> to show the level of the current group. One must dig it out of
> .newsrc.eld here in "Gnus v5.11".
> Indeed it would be nice to have a command show all the levels of all
> the groups.

You can add %L to the group line format and you'll see it all the time.

> All there is now is "show me all the groups below a given
> level".

There's also A l which will only show groups on a given level.

> You see I have this group, "nnml:archive.2008", at level 5. Quite dim
> in colour,

I don't love the use of colors to distinguish the different levels either.  I customized that out of my way.  But then I'm satisfied with using just three levels, not counting whatever makes a group unsubscribed or killed.  I make 3 my default list level and use 4 for groups like your archive (I don't use 1 - I don't know why, it just turned out that way).

> but I don't want to see it at all there in the *Group*
> buffer. OK, I then set it to level 6. But then it becomes
> excruciatingly hard to dig it up when I do want to see it. j
> (gnus-group-jump-to-group) then refuses to expand its name, etc. The
> whole of gnus practically denies its existence. I never had a daughter
> named Martha, etc.

Yup, that unsubscribed doesn't work the way you describe you'd like it to is exactly what drove me to my current scheme.

> At level 5 I could still mark all the articles as read and then it
> acts like I want and goes just below the surface of the *Group*
> swimming pool, but there are new articles accruing each day so it
> becomes unread.

Setting your default list level lower might solve this, but may require you to reset levels on some groups.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net