* How can reading the active file in the server buffer be prevented?
@ 2016-01-02 20:50 David Hume
From: David Hume @ 2016-01-02 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When I visit the server buffer and select a server, gnus re-reads the
huge active file. How can I prevent this? I need to see the active file
to select groups but I don't see why it cannot be cached. I have tried
the variable gnus-read-active-file but it does not seem to serve this
purpose.

If you know that this is impossible (without patching lisp code) can you
tell me? Thanks.

* Re: How can reading the active file in the server buffer be prevented?
@ 2016-01-03  1:45 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-03  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Hume <a10086773@hushmail.com> writes:

> When I visit the server buffer and select a server, gnus re-reads the
> huge active file. How can I prevent this? I need to see the active file
> to select groups but I don't see why it cannot be cached. I have tried
> the variable gnus-read-active-file but it does not seem to serve this
> purpose.
>
> If you know that this is impossible (without patching lisp code) can you
> tell me? Thanks.

Nope, it's not possible, sorry. Hitting "RET" on a server in the
*Servers* buffer ends up calling `gnus-browse-foreign-server', which
unconditionally requests the group list from the server. These lists
could theoretically be cached, but right now they aren't.