* Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-18 20:12 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2004-06-18 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know why this never occurred to me before. I wonder if gnus can
or will ever be able to do this.

1. I get a message in my 'misc' folder.
2. I move the message to 'misc.some-project'.
3. I reply to the sender (from misc.some-project).
4. The sender replies to my message which is filed by nnsplit-fancy in
   my 'misc' folder.

Repeat until you forget to move one and then you can never bleeding find it.

Alas, there's nothing about these messages that would make a good
split target. Except of course for all that nice In-reply-to threading
information so helpfully preserved.

Is it possible to get gnus to file the replies (step 4) in the correct
folder based on the fact that that's where the rest of the thread is?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Our years, our debts, and our enemies
http://nwalsh.com/            | are always more numerous than we
                              | imagine.--Charles Nodier

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-18 21:17 ` Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2004-06-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I don't know why this never occurred to me before. I wonder if gnus can
> or will ever be able to do this.
>
> 1. I get a message in my 'misc' folder.
> 2. I move the message to 'misc.some-project'.
> 3. I reply to the sender (from misc.some-project).
> 4. The sender replies to my message which is filed by nnsplit-fancy in
>    my 'misc' folder.
>
> Repeat until you forget to move one and then you can never bleeding
> find it.

Ted Zlatanov has written gnus-registry.el which contains a
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent which will look in the
references and in-reply-to fileds for that.  I believe this is only in
NoGnus however. Check out the comments in gnus-registry.el for more
information.

I've never used it but ran across it when working on an oft delayed
project :)
--
Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>
To err is human, to moo bovine.

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-18 21:20 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-06-18 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

[...]
> Is it possible to get gnus to file the replies (step 4) in the correct
> folder based on the fact that that's where the rest of the thread is?

(: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)

If you use the registry; add (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
instead.

*Very* handy features. :-)

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-18 22:49   ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-06-18 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:

> Ted Zlatanov has written gnus-registry.el which contains a
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent which will look in the
> references and in-reply-to fileds for that.

There's also `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent'
<info://gnus/Fancy+Mail+Splitting> -- I don't how it differs from the
registry version.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-21 14:39     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-06-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, harder@ifa.au.dk wrote:

> Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov has written gnus-registry.el which contains a
>> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent which will look in the
>> references and in-reply-to fileds for that.
>
> There's also `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent'
> <info://gnus/Fancy+Mail+Splitting> -- I don't how it differs from the
> registry version.

nnmail-s-f-w-p doesn't track article copy/move/delete operations, and
only works for nnmail.

Ted

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-21 14:43   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-06-21 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, cmg@dok.org wrote:

> Ted Zlatanov has written gnus-registry.el which contains a
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent which will look in the
> references and in-reply-to fileds for that.  I believe this is only
> in NoGnus however. Check out the comments in gnus-registry.el for
> more information.

I keep meaning to write docs for the gnus-registry and time's never
enough.  The comments are sufficient to get started for most people.
The gnus-registry will track article copy/move/delete by message ID
which can be very handy.  Also, the registry can split by sender and
subject, not just thread - so messages with the same subject can
automatically go into the same folder (if more than one folders match,
the decision is not made).  This is VERY useful when you correspond
with people who don't preserve the thread.

spam.el also uses gnus-registry functionality (though I'm still trying
to get that working well) so the registry is definitely a useful
package with lots of uses in Gnus.

Ted

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-21 15:52       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-06-21 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 21 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, harder@ifa.au.dk wrote:
[...]
>> There's also `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent'
>> <info://gnus/Fancy+Mail+Splitting> -- I don't how it differs from the
>> registry version.
>
> nnmail-s-f-w-p doesn't track article copy/move/delete operations, and
> only works for nnmail.

I think it's supposed to work for copy and move:

,----[ C-h v nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids RET ]
| nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids's value is t
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, put Message-IDs of Gcc'd articles into the duplicate cache.
| If non-nil, also update the cache when copy or move articles.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-21 17:35         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-06-21 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

On Mon, Jun 21 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote: > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, harder@ifa.au.dk wrote:
> [...]
>>> There's also `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent'
>>> <info://gnus/Fancy+Mail+Splitting> -- I don't how it differs from the
>>> registry version.
>>
>> nnmail-s-f-w-p doesn't track article copy/move/delete operations, and
>> only works for nnmail.
>
> I think it's supposed to work for copy and move:
>
> ,----[ C-h v nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids RET ]
> | nnmail-cache-accepted-message-ids's value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | If non-nil, put Message-IDs of Gcc'd articles into the duplicate cache.
> | If non-nil, also update the cache when copy or move articles.
> `----

Sorry, my mistake.  nnmail-s-f-w-p tracks those operations inside
nnmail only.  It doesn't track nnmail to nnimap, for instance
(IIRC).  I believe this was the main reason why I wrote the registry,
to make it work across all backends.

Ted

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-24 14:17         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-24 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 21 2004, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, harder@ifa.au.dk wrote:
> [...]
>>> There's also `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent'
>>> <info://gnus/Fancy+Mail+Splitting> -- I don't how it differs from the
>>> registry version.
>>
>> nnmail-s-f-w-p doesn't track article copy/move/delete operations, and
>> only works for nnmail.
>
> I think it's supposed to work for copy and move:

It worked for moved articles last time I used it.

But the real limitation (that has been lifted with gnus-registry) is
that nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent is restricted to the "primary
mail backend".  If gnus-select-method is a mail backend, then that's
it, and otherwise gnus-secondary-select-methods is searched in order
for the first mail backend, which becomes the "primary mail backend".

nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent should be removed from Gnus, I think.

WDYT?

Kai

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-24 14:43           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-06-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

[ nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent
  vs. gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent ]

> But the real limitation (that has been lifted with gnus-registry) is
> that nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent is restricted to the "primary
> mail backend".  If gnus-select-method is a mail backend, then that's
> it, and otherwise gnus-secondary-select-methods is searched in order
> for the first mail backend, which becomes the "primary mail backend".
>
> nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent should be removed from Gnus, I think.
>
> WDYT?

I didn't try `gnus-registry' yet, because I'm quite happy with
`nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' upto now.  Is
`gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent' a drop-in replacement for
`nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' (after initialization)?

Once `gnus-registry' is properly documented in the manual, we could at
least describe `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' as obsolete an refer
to `gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-24 16:06             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-06-24 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> I didn't try `gnus-registry' yet, because I'm quite happy with
> `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' upto now.  Is
> `gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent' a drop-in replacement for
> `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' (after initialization)?

Yes, AFAIK.

> Once `gnus-registry' is properly documented in the manual, we could at
> least describe `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' as obsolete an refer
> to `gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent'.

I would love to write the docs but I can't right now.

Considering that the registry merits no more than one-two nodes in the
manual, is anyone interested in writing the docs?

Ted

* Re: Split based on threads?
@ 2004-06-25  6:23             ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-25  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> I didn't try `gnus-registry' yet, because I'm quite happy with
> `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' upto now.  Is
> `gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent' a drop-in replacement for
> `nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' (after initialization)?

Yes, I just needed to put (gnus-registry-initialize) in ~/.gnus, and
then invoke gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent instead of
nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent from nnmail-split-fancy.

Kai