* Why doesn't posting through nntp proxies work?
@ 1999-08-30  6:31 Soren Dayton
From: Soren Dayton @ 1999-08-30  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

My gnus-select-method is set to the following:

(nntp "mecca" (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin))

(with nntp-rlogin-program == "ssh")

And I can't post.  When I try (C-c C-c in the message buffer) gnus
reports:

        No methods specified to send by

doing it by hand, (message-send-via-news 0) returns null (after
querying me with all the nntp servers that I know about...

Anyone know what the deal is?

Soren

* Re: Why doesn't posting through nntp proxies work?
@ 1999-08-31 15:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com> writes:

> My gnus-select-method is set to the following:
>
> (nntp "mecca" (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin))
>
> (with nntp-rlogin-program == "ssh")
>
> And I can't post.

Can you post with C-u C-c C-c?  If so, you have two choices: (1) set
gnus-post-method to `current'; (2) set gnus-post-method to
gnus-select-method.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Why doesn't posting through nntp proxies work?
@ 1999-09-04  6:20   ` Soren Dayton
From: Soren Dayton @ 1999-09-04  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com> writes:
>
> > My gnus-select-method is set to the following:
> >
> > (nntp "mecca" (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin))
> >
> > (with nntp-rlogin-program == "ssh")
> >
> > And I can't post.
>
> Can you post with C-u C-c C-c?

No.

Or, rather, I had previously selected choice (2):

@ 1999-09-07 12:29 ` Peter Makholm
From: Peter Makholm @ 1999-09-07 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com> writes:

> And I can't post.  When I try (C-c C-c in the message buffer) gnus
> reports:
>
>         No methods specified to send by

I got the same problem (sometimes). I can't exatly say when it errors
but it seems I always get it when following up on messages read on
foreing servers posting through foreing servers.

*Messages*:
Sending...
441 Article has no body -- just headers
Couldn't send message via news: 441 Article has no body -- just headers
Entering debugger...
 [2 times]

*Backtrace*:
Signaling: (error "No methods specified to send by")
  signal(error ("No methods specified to send by"))
  error("No methods specified to send by")
  message-send(nil)
  message-send-and-exit(nil)
  call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

--
I congratulate you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone,
and may each of you fry in hell forever.

* Re: Why doesn't posting through nntp proxies work?
@ 1999-09-08 18:18   ` Soren Dayton
From: Soren Dayton @ 1999-09-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:

> Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com> writes:
>
> > And I can't post.  When I try (C-c C-c in the message buffer) gnus
> > reports:
> >
> >         No methods specified to send by
>
> I got the same problem (sometimes). I can't exatly say when it errors
> but it seems I always get it when following up on messages read on
> foreing servers posting through foreing servers.

This problem sounds like the gnus-post-method.

> *Backtrace*:
> Signaling: (error "No methods specified to send by")
>   signal(error ("No methods specified to send by"))
>   error("No methods specified to send by")
>   message-send(nil)
>   message-send-and-exit(nil)
>   call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)

But this is what I get all the time