* Web-based message boards? nntmf ?
@ 1999-11-22 22:03 Arnd Kohrs
From: Arnd Kohrs @ 1999-11-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I saw that there are already some backends for web-based message
boards.  Today I checked out nnslashdot and it works fine.

Is there already work going on to do the same for other sites?
Particularly, I would like to have a nntmf (for the fool.com message
boards).

I guess it should be doable if I just take nnslashdot as an example.  Or
is there a more documented approach?  E.g. a how-to-write backends.  Why
did they have to reinvent usenet, arg *&@^.

CU
Arnd.
--
Arnd Kohrs   -   kohrs@acm.org  -  http://www.eurecom.fr/~kohrs

The Active WebMuseum, completely remodeled interieur!
 Visit now ->  http://www.eurecom.fr/~kohrs/museum.html

* Re: Web-based message boards? nntmf ?
@ 1999-12-01 19:30 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:

> I guess it should be doable if I just take nnslashdot as an example.  Or
> is there a more documented approach?  E.g. a how-to-write backends.  Why
> did they have to reinvent usenet, arg *&@^.

There is stuff in the Gnus manual on writing backends, but the
web-based backends mostly follow the same form.  Just take
nnultimate.el, rename it and start hacking away at it.  nnslashdot is
probably simpler.  Less stuff like

(nth 2 (car (cdr (nth 2 contents))))

than nnultimate.  (w3 parse trees are very logical once you get used
to them.  :-)

* Re: Web-based message boards? nntmf ?
@ 1999-12-01 19:47   ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-12-01 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Arnd Kohrs <kohrs@acm.org> writes:
>
> > I guess it should be doable if I just take nnslashdot as an example.  Or
> > is there a more documented approach?  E.g. a how-to-write backends.  Why
> > did they have to reinvent usenet, arg *&@^.
>
> There is stuff in the Gnus manual on writing backends, but the
> web-based backends mostly follow the same form.  Just take
> nnultimate.el, rename it and start hacking away at it.  nnslashdot is
> probably simpler.  Less stuff like
>
> (nth 2 (car (cdr (nth 2 contents))))
>
> than nnultimate.  (w3 parse trees are very logical once you get used
> to them.  :-)

Really?  Cool. :)

-Bill P.