* nnrss group doesn't wash multipart article correctly
@ 2008-12-09 21:50 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-09 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I used nnrss to download this RSS feed:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/rss.xml

now every article has embedded HTML codes so I have to hit `W h' every
time.  The RSS description field contains HTML, so this is a matter of
making `W h' automatic in such cases (automatic detection will probably
not work well).  Can I configure this group in particular to apply HTML
washing?  I didn't see such an option in the manual or in the code.

Ted

* Re: nnrss group doesn't wash multipart article correctly
@ 2008-12-09 22:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-12-09 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:50:17 -0600, Ted wrote:

> Can I configure this group in particular to apply HTML washing? I
> didn't see such an option in the manual or in the code.

I have set these group parameters (G p) on the nnrss groups I have that
contain HTML:

  ((gnus-treat-wash-html t))

... seems to work alright for me.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Industrispionasjh"                                          Adam Sjøgren
 "Appelsinfromasjh"                                      asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: nnrss group doesn't wash multipart article correctly
@ 2008-12-09 23:27   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-09 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:25:03 +0100 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:50:17 -0600, Ted wrote:
>> Can I configure this group in particular to apply HTML washing? I
>> didn't see such an option in the manual or in the code.

AS> I have set these group parameters (G p) on the nnrss groups I have that
AS> contain HTML:

AS>   ((gnus-treat-wash-html t))
AS> ... seems to work alright for me.

Ah.  In the manual there's a link at the bottom and the top of Article
Washing to Customizing Articles, which I followed but then didn't see a
way to apply those to a specific group.  The manual node says

'To have them called automatically, you should set the corresponding
"treatment" variable. For instance, to have headers hidden, you'd set
gnus-treat-hide-headers.

You can, of course, write your own functions to be called from
gnus-part-display-hook. The functions are called narrowed to the part,
and you can do anything you like, pretty much. There is no information
that you have to keep in the buffer--you can change everything.'

This is not helpful to someone who doesn't know how to set
gnus-treat-hide-headers in the group parameters; `G c' is not helpful
because it has no way to specify those parameters.  I couldn't figure it
out and thought the above could only be done in a hook.

Should I:

a) implement something for `G c' that will let users add treatments to a
group/topic, or

b) add examples to the manual of how to do the above, or

c) both (including a `G c' reference in the manual node)?

Thanks

@ 2008-12-11 18:21     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-11 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:27:17 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> Should I:

TZ> a) implement something for `G c' that will let users add treatments to a
TZ> group/topic, or

TZ> b) add examples to the manual of how to do the above, or

TZ> c) both (including a `G c' reference in the manual node)?

...any opinions?  I hate to write and support things no one needs...  If
I'm the only one who had trouble with this (or needed it at all), the
manual seems like the only place that needs a minor addition to
illustrate the customization.

@ 2008-12-11 20:02       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-12-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:21:57 -0600, Ted wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:27:17 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
TZ> Should I:

TZ> a) implement something for `G c' that will let users add treatments to a
TZ> group/topic, or

TZ> b) add examples to the manual of how to do the above, or

TZ> c) both (including a `G c' reference in the manual node)?

> ...any opinions?  I hate to write and support things no one needs...  If
> I'm the only one who had trouble with this (or needed it at all), the
> manual seems like the only place that needs a minor addition to
> illustrate the customization.

It wasn't easy for me to find in the manual - when I looked and finally
did a while back - so I think it would be great to expand the manual.

I'm not sure it is necessary to add any code/functionality, I don't
think I would use it, I would probably just copy from another group that
I had already configured to my liking.

  Just my 2 øre,

     Adam

--

@ 2008-12-11 20:55     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-12-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Dec 10 2008, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:25:03 +0100 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:
> AS>   ((gnus-treat-wash-html t))
> AS> ... seems to work alright for me.
[...]
> This is not helpful to someone who doesn't know how to set
> gnus-treat-hide-headers in the group parameters; `G c' is not helpful
> because it has no way to specify those parameters.  I couldn't figure it
> out and thought the above could only be done in a hook.
>
> Should I:
>
> a) implement something for `G c' that will let users add treatments to a
> group/topic, or

Doesn't adding them within "Variables" work?

,----[ `G c' -> *Gnus Customize* ]

`----

> b) add examples to the manual of how to do the above, or

> c) both (including a `G c' reference in the manual node)?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: nnrss group doesn't wash multipart article correctly
@ 2008-12-12 21:51       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:55:04 +0100 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

>> Should I:
>>
>> a) implement something for `G c' that will let users add treatments to a
>> group/topic, or

RS> Doesn't adding them within "Variables" work?

It does, but a novice user has no idea how to do it.  I'll add the
basics to the manual section and skip writing any code.

Ted