* Reading mail with no News server -- dupe groups?
@ 2006-06-02 17:08 Chris Shenton
       [not found] ` <864pz3v62o.fsf-bvSyCKhI1+1mFww3J7gtCmD2FQJk+8+b@public.gmane.org>
From: Chris Shenton @ 2006-06-02 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's no news server at my work so I've made gnus-select-method
connect to our (shudder) Exchange server:

  (setq gnus-select-method
        '(nnimap "hemi"
                 (nnimap-address "ourserver.example.gov")
                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
                 ...))

But there's some flakiness: some groups are duplicated in my *Group*
buffer:

  INBOX/list/ice-dev
  nnimap+hemi:INBOX/list/ice-dev

I have LOTS of such duplicated groups and thus messages.  My *Server*
buffer shows the one IMAP server:

  {nnimap:hemi} (opened)

in addition to nnfolder, nndraft, and nndoc servers.

If I read a msg in one of the group-variants (e.g.,
INBOX/list/ice-dev) I see it also in the other group-variant (e.g.,
nnimap+hemi:INBOX/list/ice-dev).

Am I doing something wrong in my source specification?  Is it
inappropriate to use nnimap as the primary gnus-select-method?  If I
should use gnus-secondary-select-method for nnimap instead, I can't
find a way to tell gnus-select-method not to try any news/mail server.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

* Re: Reading mail with no News server -- dupe groups?
       [not found] ` <864pz3v62o.fsf-bvSyCKhI1+1mFww3J7gtCmD2FQJk+8+b@public.gmane.org>
@ 2006-06-02 20:27   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2006-06-02 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Shenton <chris-hqj+Oi1WDm5AfugRpC6u6w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> There's no news server at my work so I've made gnus-select-method
> connect to our (shudder) Exchange server:

Maye you should set
,----[ C-h v gnus-select-method RET ]
| gnus-select-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is (nnnil "")
`----
and instead use the following for your /mail-change/ server:
,----[ C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods RET ]
| gnus-secondary-select-methods is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is
| ((nnimap "FHI"

[...]

| Documentation:
| A list of secondary methods that will be used for reading news.
| This is a list where each element is a complete select method (see
| `gnus-select-method').
`----

This suggestion goes over the list quite often and seems to work quite
well.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: Reading mail with no News server -- dupe groups?
@ 2006-06-05 18:26     ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2006-06-05 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jochen Küpper <jochen@fhi-berlin.mpg.de> writes:

> Maye you should set
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-select-method RET ]
> | gnus-select-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | Its value is (nnnil "")
> `----

That's it.  I've used it in the past but this time I was misspelling
it as "nnil" and couldn't find anything on it in the Gnus *info* docs
(I can't find any mention of "nnnil" in *info* either)-:

> and instead use the following for your /mail-change/ server:
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods RET ]
> | gnus-secondary-select-methods is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.

Got it, perfect.

Thanks!