* Unread articles
@ 2008-02-10 12:22 NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2008-02-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I updated both Emacs and Gnus to the latest CVS. Emacs is
before-merge-unicode-to-trunk branch because some my elisp tools don't
work with 23.0.60.

(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 23.0.50.2 (i386-unknown-freebsd8.0, GTK+ Version 2.12.5)
 of 2008-02-09 on ra333.heimat.gr.jp"
(gnus-version)
"No Gnus v0.7"

$ cvs status gnus.el
File: gnus.el           Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    7.78
   Repository revision: 7.78    /usr/local/cvsroot/gnus/lisp/gnus.el,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

And then, Gnus cannot handle the unread articles properly. For example,
Katsumi Yamaoka's Message-ID: <b4mr6fmpern.fsf@jpl.org> is treated as
unread in "nnml:ml.ding" group again and again and ... and again. I've
read his message more than five times today. ;)

Also, there are sometimes some nnml groups which have no unread articles
though I saw some Mail messages are splitted into these groups. In
addition, when such nnml groups are listed in *Group* buffer, most of
the "unread" articles have been already "read".

Are there any bugs in Gnus's recent changes, or any problem in my ~/Mail
directory?

Regards,
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki

* Re: Unread articles
@ 2008-02-12  8:55 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-02-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I updated both Emacs and Gnus to the latest CVS. Emacs is
> before-merge-unicode-to-trunk branch because some my elisp tools don't
> work with 23.0.60.

[...]

> And then, Gnus cannot handle the unread articles properly. For example,

[...]

> Also, there are sometimes some nnml groups which have no unread articles
> though I saw some Mail messages are splitted into these groups. In
> addition, when such nnml groups are listed in *Group* buffer, most of
> the "unread" articles have been already "read".

> Are there any bugs in Gnus's recent changes, or any problem in my ~/Mail
> directory?

I guess the .marks files aren't updated for some reason (NFS
problem?).  Could you try rebuilding all of them?  To do that,
remove the .marks file in every nnml group.  Then, they will be
re-generated automatically.  The .marks file for the
"nnml:ml.ding" group is normally "~/Mail/ml/ding/.marks", for
example.

Another way is to set the `nnml-marks-is-evil' variable to t.
But please note, you have to remove all the .marks files (for
re-genarating them) when you set that variable to nil again in
the future.

* Re: Unread articles
@ 2008-02-12 11:05   ` NAKAJI Hiroyuki
From: NAKAJI Hiroyuki @ 2008-02-12 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> > Are there any bugs in Gnus's recent changes, or any problem in my ~/Mail
> > directory?

> I guess the .marks files aren't updated for some reason (NFS
> problem?).  Could you try rebuilding all of them?  To do that,
> remove the .marks file in every nnml group.  Then, they will be
> re-generated automatically.  The .marks file for the
> "nnml:ml.ding" group is normally "~/Mail/ml/ding/.marks", for
> example.

> Another way is to set the `nnml-marks-is-evil' variable to t.
> But please note, you have to remove all the .marks files (for
> re-genarating them) when you set that variable to nil again in
> the future.

Thanks for the hints. I'll try the former later.

I forgot to mention about my background. I'm afraid that merge-unicode
might have some effects on this problem.

BACKGROUND:
o Updated without care Emacs to CVS HEAD (23.0.60)
o Found some aset related(?) errors
o Revert Emacs to before-merge-unicode-to-trunk branch (23.0.50)
o Faced to this problem ;_;
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki