* nnmail-split-fancy woes
@ 2001-01-23  0:00 James Felix Black
From: James Felix Black @ 2001-01-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with fancy splitting.  In particular, my
attempt to write a split rule that used backreferences is failing.

I have two "vanity" domains that I use for various purposes, mostly to
catch spam.  I'd like anything addressed to <anybody>@homonculus.net
to end up in the misc.homonculus.<anybody> folder.  Supplying a rule
to nnmail-split-methods *does* work: however, using the same regexp in
nnmail-split-fancy fails.

The relevant .gnus snippets:

(setq mail-sources
      '((file)

	(pop :server   "localhost"
	     :port     10110
	     :user     user
	     :password password)

	(pop :server   "mail.homonculus.net"
	     :user     user
	     :password password)

	(pop :server   "mail.inter-slice.com"
	     :user     user
	     :password password)))

(setq nnmail-split-methods
;      '(("misc.homonculus.\\1"  "To: \\(.*\\)@homonculus.net")
;	 ("misc.inter-slice.\\1" "To: \\(.*\\)@inter-slice.com")
;	 ("inbox" "")))
      'nnmail-split-fancy)

(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      '(| ("to" "\\(.*\\)@homonculus.net" "misc.homonculus.\\1")
	  "inbox"))

The \\1 backreference apparently doesn't catch anything at all, and
the mail gets dropped into the misc.homonculus directory.

Any clues?

(jfb)

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value.

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy woes
@ 2001-01-23  1:53 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 2001-01-23  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Felix Black <jfb@visi.com> writes:

[...]

> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>       '(| ("to" "\\(.*\\)@homonculus.net" "misc.homonculus.\\1")
> 	  "inbox"))

you may try:

,--------------------
| (setq nnmail-split-fancy
|        '(| ("to" "\\b\\(\\w+\\)@homonculus.net" "misc.homonculus.\\1")
|           "inbox"))
`--------------------

it works for me, and it is also documented in the Gnus manual,
(gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting.  *note* the "\\b" part.

hth,
Francisco

* Re: nnmail-split-fancy woes
@ 2001-01-23  2:00   ` James Felix Black
From: James Felix Black @ 2001-01-23  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> it works for me, and it is also documented in the Gnus manual,
> (gnus)Fancy Mail Splitting.  *note* the "\\b" part.

Yes, that did it.  Thanks.  Now, to get the gnus-bbdb splitting
integrated into "nnmail-split-fancy" ...

(jfb)

--

@ 2001-01-23 21:32     ` dave
From: dave @ 2001-01-23 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  James> Yes, that did it.  Thanks.  Now, to get the gnus-bbdb
  James> splitting integrated into "nnmail-split-fancy" ...

Ask and ye shall receive:

Assuming you already have gnus-bbdb.el from Brian Edmonds
<edmonds@cs.ubc.ca>

(setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
 (setq
  nnmail-split-fancy
  '(|
      ("Subject" "foobar" "foobar.general")
      ("From" ".*metrowerks\\.com" "metrowerks")
      ("X-suspected-spam" "see" "spam")
      ("From" "larsi@gnus.org" "test1")
      (: gnus-bbdb-split-method)
      "bogus"
      )
  )

;; Where to file mail if BBDB does not match a bbdb entry
(setq gnus-bbdb-split-default-group "other")

Nothing should ever get to the "bogus" group.  Mails ending up in
bogus is an indication that gnus-bbdb-split-method is not working....

--
-David
E. David Bell                       |           dave@cavalry.com

* gnus-bbdb & split-fancy (was: nnmail-split-fancy woes)
@ 2001-01-24 20:56       ` James Felix Black
From: James Felix Black @ 2001-01-24 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ask and ye shall receive:

Errr.  Doesn't work.  I've set the requisite vars:

(setq gnus-bbdb-split-default-group "inbox")

(setq nnmail-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy
      nnmail-split-fancy   '(|  ("to" "\\b\\(\\w+\\)@homonculus.net"  "misc.homonculus.\\1")
				("to" "\\b\\(\\w+\\)@inter-slice.com" "misc.inter-slice.\\1")
				(: gnus-bbdb-split-method)
				"bogus"))

... and while the backreferencing regexps now work perfectly,
everything else is getting dumped into "inbox".  The *bbdb* records
are properly set up, as setting nnmail-split-methods to
'gnus-bbdb-split-method seems to work fine.

I'm running a cvs'd gnus from maybe two days ago, bbdb-2.00.06, and
the only copy of gnus-bbdb.el that I could find (v1.20, from 1995.)

Has this worked for anybody else?

(jfb)

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value.