* Fetch range of older articles from nnimap?
@ 2020-07-03 12:11 Bjorn Solberg
From: Bjorn Solberg @ 2020-07-03 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I need to fetch a range of old articles from an IMAP server, to do some
cleanup.  Providing an argument to e.g. gnus-group-select-group enables
me to fetch the N latest articles. But this becomes impractical when N
grows beyond tens of thousands of articles.  Is there currently a way to
rather specify a range to be fetched, e.g. "articles 1 - 100", "articles
101 - 200" and so on?

Thanks,

Bjorn

* Re: Fetch range of older articles from nnimap?
@ 2020-07-07  8:18 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-07  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday,  3 Jul 2020 at 14:11, Bjorn Solberg wrote:
> Is there currently a way to rather specify a range to be fetched,
> e.g. "articles 1 -100", "articles 101 -200" and so on?

You could try using nnir (G G on the group line) with full IMAP search
syntax.  Check out pages 50-51 of the RFC3501 specification [1] (BEFORE
and SINCE search terms) and the gnus info page on the nnir search.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: Fetch range of older articles from nnimap?
@ 2020-07-07 11:46   ` Bjorn Solberg
From: Bjorn Solberg @ 2020-07-07 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Jul 07 2020 at 09:18:34 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> On Friday,  3 Jul 2020 at 14:11, Bjorn Solberg wrote:
>> Is there currently a way to rather specify a range to be fetched,
>> e.g. "articles 1 -100", "articles 101 -200" and so on?
>
> You could try using nnir (G G on the group line) with full IMAP search
> syntax.  Check out pages 50-51 of the RFC3501 specification [1] (BEFORE
> and SINCE search terms) and the gnus info page on the nnir search.

Thanks, that prompted me to finally look into nnir.  The info pages were
somewhat slim with no examples, but also looking at the code I ended up
with e.g.

C-u G G since 10-Jan-2010 before 10-Feb-2010 RET imap RET

gave me what I needed.  Thanks for the help!

@ 2020-07-07 14:24     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-07-07 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday,  7 Jul 2020 at 13:46, Bjorn Solberg wrote:
> C-u G G since 10-Jan-2010 before 10-Feb-2010 RET imap RET
>
> gave me what I needed.  Thanks for the help!

Excellent!  Glad I could help.  And useful to have success noted here
with actual example for future reference.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.3.7 on Debian bullseye/sid