From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: any partial or rudamentary documentation of new nnselect work somewhere?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 16:49:08 -0400	[thread overview]

Andrew Cohen <cohen@bu.edu> writes:

>     Harry> Something as rough as some of the experts working on nnselect
>     Harry> might save there test command lines off to a file ... even
>     Harry> with no explanatory remarks and make that available
>     Harry> somewhere.

> That's easy---there are no special commands :) For basic search just "G
> G" as usual. Or if you want to create a permanent search group (that is,
> one that behaves like any other group but the selected articles are the
> result of a search query) use "G g".

[I really don't want to bog down or belabor something when such a
vigorous and productive spate of coding is underway, so maybe you can
just post urls or direct me to the proper place to get started]

In emacs from source of a few days ago (and with feature/gnus-select
pulled in too):

OK, I guess I'm thoroughly lost here... Your comments seem to indicate
there is existing nnselect doucumentation some where. Or at least that
the functionality of existing code is known to gnus.

At the top of gnus manual... (The one that comes with emacs sources
when one sets up an emacs branch from git repo)

  That manual says it belongs to version 5.13 ... but isn't that quite
  old?

Anyway:

Using regex search `s' and entering `nnselect', there are no hits at all.

In gnus...
Entering a group and pressing  `G G'... I am prompted for an article number.

Surely that is not where one enters search terms, since it is asking
for an article number.  But even if I were
to find something explaining how to set up and use nnselect... I'd
still need to know how to enter a search. That is,  the syntax.

I'm guessing one does not use a regex like in `M-s' in group buffer,
type searches.

If this information is readily available please just respond with RTFM
or the like depending on where it is.

I don't want to waste your time.