From: Wolfram Fenske <Wolfram.Fenske@Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>
Subject: Re: moved messages don't go away neither
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:44:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> [...]
>
>    Wolfram> Anyway, it seems I don't have the problem anymore and I'd
>    Wolfram> suggest to try and see if my patch [1] keeps it from
>    Wolfram> re-occurring.  Any non-existent mail you have now, you
>    Wolfram> have to get rid off by hand, though.
>
> Thanks, but it does not work for me, when moving an article, the
> articles gets copied to the other folder and *marked* for deletion,
> however when exiting the group and reentering it is still there
> (contrary to deleting it my hand).

Did you recompile "nnimap.el" or move the old "nnimap.elc" out of the
way?  IIRC, Emacs tries to use the compiled version of a file, even if
it's older.

Also, how exactly are you're articles still there?  I ask, because
there are two problems:

  1. Articles that appears in an nnimap group but aren't really there.
  When you try to read such an article, Gnus beeps at you and tells
  you the article is no longer present (something like that).  IIRC,
  you can't delete (B DEL) it, either.  This is what I referred to as
  "ghost mail" in my previous post, and this is what I believe the
  original poster was talking about.  I may be wrong, though.

  2. Moving articles in the nnimap backend didn't work because the
  article in the source folder was not expired.  But in contrast to
  problem no. 1, the article in the source folder could still be read.
  My patch should have fixed this bug.

The reason I brought up the second issue is that I suspect that
somehow the broken move function confused the agent and thus caused
the "ghost mail" problem as well.  Dave says he doesn't have this
problem anymore since he's been using the patch, and neither do I.

> I ran gnus-agent-regenerate and gnus-agent-expire but without
> success. Odd.

Can't really help you with that.  I deleted everything in
~/News/agent/nnimap/ but previous posters have suggested other
methods which sounded less brutal.

Greetings
Wolfram

--