* modifying `B m' (moving articles) to use registry split with parent
@ 2008-03-31 14:00 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-31 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I realized today that it would be nice to have a
gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent call before `B m' in many cases,
since it looks up possible destinations using the subject and sender of
the message.  Those destinations could be sorted to be first in the list
of available destinations.

Since it's a change for all users, should I make it a new function that
calls the current move function or should I change the regular move
function?  If the registry is not enabled, it won't do anything, but
it's still a change in something everyone uses very often so I'm
hesitant to just make the change without asking.

Ted

* Re: modifying `B m' (moving articles) to use registry split with parent
@ 2008-04-25 19:40 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I realized today that it would be nice to have a
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent call before `B m' in many cases,
> since it looks up possible destinations using the subject and sender of
> the message.  Those destinations could be sorted to be first in the list
> of available destinations.

> Since it's a change for all users, should I make it a new function that
> calls the current move function or should I change the regular move
> function?  If the registry is not enabled, it won't do anything, but
> it's still a change in something everyone uses very often so I'm
> hesitant to just make the change without asking.

I looked at the code in gnus-sum.el and it calls gnus-get-split-value on
gnus-move-split-methods.  I thought something like this:

(setq gnus-move-split-methods `((,(lambda(x) (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)))))

might work, but the suggestion becomes the ONLY choice.  I'd prefer if
the registry's suggestion was just the default.  I'd have to modify the
code or create gnus-move-suggestion-split-methods, which seems painfully
unnecessary, so I wanted to ask for opinions.

My guess is that very few people use gnus-move-split-methods, since
there's a bug in it (specifically, in gnus-get-split-value) for move
suggestions: group names are converted to directory names, because
gnus-get-split-value is normally used for saving suggestions.

Please let me know what you think.

Ted