* can't get indirect nntp to work
@ 2002-11-08 15:09 Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2002-11-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been trying to connect to the news server at my previous place
of employment by using ssh to go through my account there, but I can't
get it to work.  Here is the setting I am using:

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.ps.uni-sb.de"
           (nntp-address "news.ps.uni-sb.de")
           (nntp-via-rlogin-command "ssh")
           (nntp-via-rlogin-command-switches nil)
           (nntp-via-user-name "duchier")
           (nntp-via-address "elk.ps.uni-sb.de")
           (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet)))

when opening the connection, it seems to block in nntp-wait-for-string
when executing accept-process-output.  If I execute:

              ssh -l duchier elk.ps.uni-sb.de telnet -8

interactively at the shell, then I can successfully give it further
commands to interact with the nntp server.  However:

              ssh -l duchier elk.ps.uni-sb.de telnet -8 < FOO

where FOO contains the same commands, only _seems_ to execute the 1st
one, namely the open and then closes the connection.

I just don't get it! what am I doing wrong?

Cheers,

PS:
BTW, the nntp-first wait-for-string should probably be:
      (nntp-wait-for-string "^\r?telnet")
instead:
      (nntp-wait-for-string "^r?telnet")

--
Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)

* Re: can't get indirect nntp to work
@ 2002-11-08 15:56 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2002-11-08 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hi,

> I have been trying to connect to the news server at my previous place
> of employment by using ssh to go through my account there, but I can't
> get it to work.  Here is the setting I am using:

> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nntp "news.ps.uni-sb.de"
>            (nntp-address "news.ps.uni-sb.de")
>            (nntp-via-rlogin-command "ssh")
>            (nntp-via-rlogin-command-switches nil)
>            (nntp-via-user-name "duchier")
>            (nntp-via-address "elk.ps.uni-sb.de")
>            (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-rlogin-and-telnet)))

Could you try to add the fllowing parameter?

           (nntp-end-of-line "\n")

And, please also try this:

           (nntp-via-rlogin-command-switches ("-t"))

> PS:
> BTW, the nntp-first wait-for-string should probably be:
>       (nntp-wait-for-string "^\r?telnet")
> instead:
>       (nntp-wait-for-string "^r?telnet")

"^r?telnet" is for both telnet and rtelnet (rtelnet is a
socksified version of telnet).
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: can't get indirect nntp to work
@ 2002-11-09 10:31   ` Denys Duchier
From: Denys Duchier @ 2002-11-09 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> I have been trying to connect to the news server at my previous place
>> of employment by using ssh to go through my account there, but I can't
>> get it to work.  Here is the setting I am using:
> [...]
> And, please also try this:
>
>            (nntp-via-rlogin-command-switches ("-t"))

Somehow, my reply did not seem to make it to the list (ah, yes:
previous msg was only cc'ed to ding).  The above did it! thanks.
Somehow I tested it interactively, but I got an error so I did not put
it in the switches at first.  I must have screwed up in the testing
conditions.

Btw, this maybe off topic but can anyone explain to me why -t makes a
difference?

--Denys