From: Jon Babcock <jon@kanji.com>
Cc: michael@kanji.com
Subject: Mule-begot problems
Date: 06 Jan 1998 03:32:25 -0700	[thread overview]

Gentle dingnostica,

What are the problems that Mule introduces to Emacs and Gnus?

I just read in a private response to my last message that it breaks POP.

Anything else?

I want to mention the most serious Mule-inspired objections to Emacs
20.x and specifically to Gnus in an article I'm writing for
LJ. Actually, the original article was written last March, long before
the official Emacs-Mule merge, and now that LJ is finally getting
around to schedule it for printing, I find that a number of those who
belong to the Faith of Emacs are crying out ... in pain. Anybody know
why?

It doesn't use Unicode and the documentation stinks * ... I know about these.

Jon Babcock
jon@kanji.com

* In April, 1995, I bought a book on Mule that turned out to be mostly
on Emacs (in Japanese, ISBN4-7561-0300-6) and that helped
slightly. And I looked through some of the early Japanese
documentation, too, which allowed me to at least install and run
it. Sort of. But it wasn't until Stallman wrote the info stuff that
was to end up accompanying Emacs 20.1 that I could get the beginning
of an overview. (Yeah, I know, I'm dumb or I guess so ...)