* Gnus and GMail coexistence: need manual section
@ 2008-09-05 15:12 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-05 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

there are quite a few how-to docs (including posts here and on Usenet
and web sites/blog posts) on how to make Gnus work with GMail.  Is
anyone interested in writing a section in the manual for it, since so
many people need it?  I don't use GMail so I wouldn't be a good writer
for this.

The docs should cover:

- simple setup
- how GMail organizes folders
- multiple accounts

I hope someone is interested :)

Ted

* Re: Gnus and GMail coexistence: need manual section
@ 2008-09-07 23:27 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-09-07 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> there are quite a few how-to docs (including posts here and on Usenet
> and web sites/blog posts) on how to make Gnus work with GMail.  Is
> anyone interested in writing a section in the manual for it, since so
> many people need it?  I don't use GMail so I wouldn't be a good writer
> for this.
>
> The docs should cover:
>
> - simple setup
> - how GMail organizes folders
> - multiple accounts

I would recommend the page on EmacsWiki which does a very good job of
addressing all of these points, and could probably be dropped into the
gnus documentation with minimal editing

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

-- Eric

* Re: Gnus and GMail coexistence: need manual section
@ 2008-09-08 15:42   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-08 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:27:45 -0700 "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

ES> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> there are quite a few how-to docs (including posts here and on Usenet
>> and web sites/blog posts) on how to make Gnus work with GMail.  Is
>> anyone interested in writing a section in the manual for it, since so
>> many people need it?  I don't use GMail so I wouldn't be a good writer
>> for this.
>>
>> The docs should cover:
>>
>> - simple setup
>> - how GMail organizes folders
>> - multiple accounts

ES> I would recommend the page on EmacsWiki which does a very good job of
ES> addressing all of these points, and could probably be dropped into the
ES> gnus documentation with minimal editing

ES> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

Should the link be in the manual?  Should the manual freeze this
information?  I can see both sides of the argument but it seems that
freezing the information *and* providing the URL would be technically
best but also most confusing to the user.

@ 2008-09-15 17:49     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-15 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:42:33 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:27:45 -0700 "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

ES> I would recommend the page on EmacsWiki which does a very good job of
ES> addressing all of these points, and could probably be dropped into the
ES> gnus documentation with minimal editing

ES> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusGmail

TZ> Should the link be in the manual?  Should the manual freeze this
TZ> information?  I can see both sides of the argument but it seems that
TZ> freezing the information *and* providing the URL would be technically
TZ> best but also most confusing to the user.

Ping?  I'd like some opinions please.  This is about how the Gnus manual
coexists with emacswiki.org and similar sites, not just about GMail, so
I don't want to make the decision on my own.

My vote is for freezing the information through some semi-automated
system that updates CVS from emacswiki.org or other sources (never
automatically!), and keeping all the information plus links to the
original and credits in a separate manual section.

This requires a look at any possible legal issues of bringing in
emacswiki.org content into the manual.  Who would know about this?

Thanks

@ 2008-09-16 12:44       ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 2008-09-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

> TZ> Should the link be in the manual?  Should the manual freeze this
> TZ> information?  I can see both sides of the argument but it seems that
> TZ> freezing the information *and* providing the URL would be technically
> TZ> best but also most confusing to the user.
>
> Ping?  I'd like some opinions please.  This is about how the Gnus manual
> coexists with emacswiki.org and similar sites, not just about GMail, so
> I don't want to make the decision on my own.

What's particular about the situation with GMail is that the manual would be
freezing documentation about something other than Gnus. If GMail changed
(and it does change quite frequently -- it's still in beta after all...)
then the documentation would be wrong. Not just out of date like
documentation for september Gnus or quassia Gnus is -- that documentation is
still accurate as far as it describes those versions -- it would be
incorrect even about the same version it was written for.

* Re: Gnus and GMail coexistence: need manual section
@ 2008-09-16 19:08         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-09-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:44:30 +0100 "Greg Stark" <stark@mit.edu> wrote:

GS> What's particular about the situation with GMail is that the manual would be
GS> freezing documentation about something other than Gnus. If GMail changed
GS> (and it does change quite frequently -- it's still in beta after all...)
GS> then the documentation would be wrong. Not just out of date like
GS> documentation for september Gnus or quassia Gnus is -- that documentation is
GS> still accurate as far as it describes those versions -- it would be
GS> incorrect even about the same version it was written for.

So your vote is for just a link?

Ted