From: wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: A paper manual
Date: 09 Oct 1998 08:12:14 -0500	[thread overview]

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I'm sitting here flipping through the illustrated Gnus manual, and I
> was thinking it might be nice to have it in a, eh, more permanent
> format.  Like -- bound properly and stuff.
>
> Now, I'm not saying I'm going to publish a bound version of the manual,
> but I wonder whether there's any interest in having something like that.
> In one way, it's somewhat impractical -- infomation on dead, flat trees
> get outdated after a millisecond, and people can always print the thing
> out themselves.  And it will probably be heavy -- the one I have is 1kg.
> But -- if I were to do something like that, would any one of you like to
> buy one if the price was not unreasonable?

  Will the proceeds go to fund the world tour?  I'd buy one.  You'll have
to come up with some spiffy cover art though. :)

  I used to work at a small printshop back in the dark ages, so could
probably get a deal on printing them.  We could do dual runs or something,
and I could take care of shipping to people in the united states, unless
postage is REAL cheap from overseas.

  To get a hardbound copy, you'd probably have to go to a 'vanity press',
and I'm not sure how expensive that is.  We did some hardbound yearbooks or
something one year that turned out nice, but I don't remember how much we
charged.

-Bill P.