* Problem with dovecot expiry to a different group/imap folder
@ 2019-10-24 20:55 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2019-10-24 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I seem to remember that there was an issue with nnimap expiry to a
different group when the server is dovecot.

But I can't remember what the issue was (something to do with the date
of the moved message that would get the date of the move instead of the
date the original message was received).

Is this still an issue? Is there a possibility of getting it fixed?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Problem with dovecot expiry to a different group/imap folder
@ 2019-10-24 21:05 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2019-10-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I seem to remember that there was an issue with nnimap expiry to a
> different group when the server is dovecot.

> But I can't remember what the issue was (something to do with the date
> of the moved message that would get the date of the move instead of the
> date the original message was received).

This was the issue:
 commit d5427e71da28856c5e43396a37ffd0c906947499
 Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
 Date:   Mon Mar 14 20:23:30 2016 +0100

    Disable MOVE more for Dovecot

    * lisp/gnus/nnimap.el (nnimap-process-expiry-targets): Also
    disable MOVE when expirying.
    (nnimap-split-incoming-mail): And when splitting mail.

If I remember correctly this means that instead of using IMAP MOVE,
articles are moved by a COPY (which gives the target message a new date)
followed by a DELETE.

> Is this still an issue? Is there a possibility of getting it fixed?

It would be very niced if this issue is fixed, because it means I can go
back to expiring to an archive folder without having the dates on the
target message broken.p

@ 2019-10-24 21:11   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2019-10-24 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I seem to remember that there was an issue with nnimap expiry to a
>> different group when the server is dovecot.

>> But I can't remember what the issue was (something to do with the date
>> of the moved message that would get the date of the move instead of the
>> date the original message was received).

> This was the issue:
>  commit d5427e71da28856c5e43396a37ffd0c906947499
>  Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
>  Date:   Mon Mar 14 20:23:30 2016 +0100

>     Disable MOVE more for Dovecot

>     * lisp/gnus/nnimap.el (nnimap-process-expiry-targets): Also
>     disable MOVE when expirying.
>     (nnimap-split-incoming-mail): And when splitting mail.

Actually, probably more for the preceeding commit:
 commit 8ed27bdf88cab134c26f3609c4d11c574f74705c
 Author: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
 Date:   Mon Mar 14 20:21:02 2016 +0100

    Don't use MOVE on Dovecot

    * lisp/gnus/nnimap.el (nnimap-request-move-article): Don't use
    MOVE on Dovecot, since it's broken in many versions.
    (nnimap-quirks): Mark MOVE on Dovecot as non-working.

How was MOVE broken? In what versions of Dovecot was it broken?

> If I remember correctly this means that instead of using IMAP MOVE,
> articles are moved by a COPY (which gives the target message a new date)
> followed by a DELETE.

>> Is this still an issue? Is there a possibility of getting it fixed?

> It would be very niced if this issue is fixed, because it means I can go
> back to expiring to an archive folder without having the dates on the
> target message broken.p

Is it possible to disable the nnimap-quirks by redefining the
nnimap-quirks variable?  If so, what should the nnimap-quirks variable
be set to?

(defvar nnimap-quirks
  '(("QRESYNC" "Zimbra" "QRESYNC ")
    ("MOVE" "Dovecot" nil)))

Thanks!

* Re: Problem with dovecot expiry to a different group/imap folder
@ 2019-10-24 21:14     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2019-10-24 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> How was MOVE broken? In what versions of Dovecot was it broken?

What I'm actually asking: is MOVE broken in dovecot 1:2.3.4.1-5+deb10u1
on debian 10 "buster"? (which is what I'm currently running)

* Re: Problem with dovecot expiry to a different group/imap folder
@ 2019-10-24 22:39       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-10-24 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> How was MOVE broken? In what versions of Dovecot was it broken?
>
> What I'm actually asking: is MOVE broken in dovecot 1:2.3.4.1-5+deb10u1
> on debian 10 "buster"? (which is what I'm currently running)

I have no idea what version MOVE was broken for in Dovecot, but I'm
running 2.3.8 (arch linux's current version) and it's not broken there.
I simply set nnimap-quirks to nil in my gnus.el (I'm not using zimbra,
anyway) and forget about it -- no negative repercussions so far.

* Re: Problem with dovecot expiry to a different group/imap folder
@ 2019-10-25 15:15         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2019-10-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have no idea what version MOVE was broken for in Dovecot, but I'm
> running 2.3.8 (arch linux's current version) and it's not broken there.
> I simply set nnimap-quirks to nil in my gnus.el (I'm not using zimbra,
> anyway) and forget about it -- no negative repercussions so far.

Thanks!  I will try this.