From: Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org>
Subject: Re: PGP/GPG and AOL
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:09:27 -0800	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

Jack> I helped an AOL user install WinPT on her machine, but when she
Jack> sent me an encrypted message, Gnus and gpg.el didn't DTRT.

Simon> Could you give some more details on what Gnus/gpg.el did and
Simon> did not do?

What Gnus and gpg.el did not do was to take the content of either part
of the multipart message and offer to decrypt it and display the
decrypted contents.

Jack> Turns out that AOL sends multipart messages -- text and HTML --
Jack> and there's no known way to force it to send only text.

Simon> Shouldn't be a problem.

You'd think.  I've got an open case with AOL because first and second
level helpdesk folks weren't able to tell me how to do that.

Jack> Does anyone out here have an easy way to have Gnus and gpg.el
Jack> check the contents of a multipart message to see if they're
Jack> encrypted, and offer to decrypt them?

Simon> Gnus should do this by default, controlled by
Simon> `mm-decrypt-option'.

Mine's set to nil, which means "ask user" according to the docs.  I
was not asked.

While the "right" solution is to fix AOL, the more probable solution
seems to be to fix Gnus or gpg.el -- does anyone know what's wrong or
how to fix it?  I'll help debug the problem if people can give me
generic pointers on just what to do, as I'm unfamiliar with this
particular subsystem.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley