From: Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: on a buffer performance test on GNU EMACS 28
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 00:36:21 -0300	[thread overview]

> On 08/19/20 22:22 PM, Rafi Khan wrote:
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>> To my embarrassment, I don't know how it works, either. I use Gnus as a
>>> newsreader, and access these emacs.* groups via nntp. But sometimes I
>>> followup using "F", and sometimes I reply with "S W". I'm often not even
>>> aware of which I've used. In the latter case, I must be sending email to
>>> ding@gnus.org, but it all ends up looking the same to me.
>>
>> I never really understood the difference between "F" and "S W"... could
>> you explain?

By the way, Rafi Khan's message must have gone only to your mailbox
because it did not reach the newsgroup (so I think it did not reach the
mail list either).

[...]

> Where I'm less certain is what happens when you mail reply in an nntp
> newsgroup.

This doesn't happen.  The headers are wrecking havoc in your mind. :-)

You can't mail reply in NNTP newsgroup.  You can post an NNTP message
with a header such as ``To: ding@somewhere.com''.  That's no problem.
By having such header, someone reading the NNTP server could use their
NNTP client to reply by mail if they so wished.

Now, because the NNTP server will handle your message to some system
that will make it post to the mail list, then the list needs all the
mail headers that the mail list mechanism will require.  That's why we
end up with messages that look like NNTP articles and SMTP messages.

That's my theory.

> In the case of gnus.general, the address "ding@gnus.org" is always in
> the cc, so if you do any of the (very) wide reply options, Gnus
> apparently knows that your message will also go to the group, and it
> lets you send the mail reply (as opposed to the news followup). If you
> try a non-wide mail reply (which would not go to the group) it assumes
> you're making a dumb mistake and asks for confirmation.
>
> I don't know how much of this is standard nntp stuff, how much
> particular to Gnus the newsreader, and how much particular to
> gnus.general the newsgroup.

I think essentially nothing is particular to NNTP nor to Gnus.  The
designers of this system are using their freedom to add headers to
messages to make this marvelous NNTP way to participate in mail lists.
It's a very great contribution --- thanks to Gmane!

> Hope that didn't make things worse!

It's all good either way.  I hope someone educates us if we're too off
the right course.