* Gnus on emacs 25.2 64 bit, has problem opening TLS connection to dovecot
@ 2017-07-27  9:25 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-07-27  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I upgraded to emacs 25.2 on a Windows 10 laptop yesterday, and Gnus on
emacs 25.2 has problems opening a TLS IMAP connection to dovecot.

This is what I see in the messages buffer:
 Opening nnimap server on privat...
 Opening connection to imap.mydomain.com via tls...
 Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.mydomain.com’...
 Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile nil -p 993 imap.mydomain.com’...failed
 Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile nil -p 993 imap.mydomain.com --protocols ssl3’...failed
 Opening TLS connection with ‘openssl s_client -connect imap.mydomain.com:993 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof’...done
 Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.mydomain.com’...done
 Opening nnimap server on privat...done

If Gnus ends up using, or trying to use, the command line programs, does
that mean that it was unable to use the gnutls DLL?

I installed the 64bit version of emacs, ie. emacs-25.2-x86_64.zip.

I then extracted gnutls-3.4.15-w32-bin.zip from ezwinports into the
unpacked emacs directory.

Is a 64bit emacs unable to use the 32bit DLL from ezwinports?

Should I use a 32bit emacs instead? Or is there a 64bit gnutls DLL
available from somewhere?

Thanks!

* Re: Gnus on emacs 25.2 64 bit, has problem opening TLS connection to dovecot
@ 2017-07-27 10:04 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-07-27 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Is a 64bit emacs unable to use the 32bit DLL from ezwinports?

I was told on gmane.emacs.help that this is the case.

> Should I use a 32bit emacs instead? Or is there a 64bit gnutls DLL
> available from somewhere?

I ended up installing the 686 version of emacs 25.1,
ie. emacs-25.2-i686.zip.

I verified that gnus in this emacs was unable to open a TLS IMAP
connection to dovecot.

I then unpacked gnutls-3.4.15-w32-bin.zip into the installed emacs, and
restarted emacs.

This time gnus opened a TLS connection to dovecot, without trying any
external programs.

* Re: Gnus on emacs 25.2 64 bit, has problem opening TLS connection to dovecot
@ 2017-08-03 19:57 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2017-08-03 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

No, according to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1116265/can-a-64-bit-exe-link-against-32-bit-dlls

SB> Should I use a 32bit emacs instead? Or is there a 64bit gnutls DLL
SB> available from somewhere?

You can ask the ezwinports maintainer, or compile them yourself.

Ted

* Re: Gnus on emacs 25.2 64 bit, has problem opening TLS connection to dovecot
@ 2017-08-05 15:42   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-08-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

SB> Should I use a 32bit emacs instead? Or is there a 64bit gnutls DLL
SB> available from somewhere?

> You can ask the ezwinports maintainer, or compile them yourself.

I ended up using the 32bit emacs and ezwinports dlls.

I found this, while googling:
 https://chocolatey.org/packages/emacs64

Chocolatey is an attempt at making "apt-get" for windows. I've used it
to install git-tfs and it worked fine for that.

But the emacs in the above URL had "(Unofficial)" as part of its name,
and that together with this being the second to last version instead of
the last version made me have doubts about how actively it is
maintained.