* nntp articles wrongly marked as read ('O')
@ 2003-05-19  7:49 Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-05-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

An old error is back.  Current Gnus from CVS head wrongly marks nntp
articles as read (5.10.[01] was not affected).  Entering news group
Emacs/Gnus displays:

[-- Attachment #2: e.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10379 bytes --]

All the blueish were not read by me ;-(  I guess it can happen, when
there is a recent article cached and previous articles were unread.
Also I'd like to know how I can disable the '=> ...' feature.

The strange thing is, the '=>' feature isn't always triggered; but when
it got triggered Gnus puts wrong marks on unread articles.  This is
very annoying.  Am I the only one who is affected by this problem?

--
                                                         |      ,__o
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)

* Re: nntp articles wrongly marked as read ('O')
@ 2003-05-19 15:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-19 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> All the blueish were not read by me ;-(  I guess it can happen, when
> there is a recent article cached and previous articles were unread.

Whee.  Actually, I have no idea about this :-/
But it might be related to the agent thing that Kevin and me were
talking about.

> Also I'd like to know how I can disable the '=> ...' feature.

It comes from the %f specifier in gnus-summary-line-format.  See the
node "To From Newsgroups" in the Gnus info file.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: nntp articles wrongly marked as read ('O')
@ 2003-05-20 12:57 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-05-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> Current Gnus from CVS head wrongly marks nntp articles as read

I don't know if this could be the same bug, but I still see occasionally
some messages marked as read (*and* unseen!) in *nnml* groups.  Last time
it happened maybe three weeks ago with CVS head of this date. The messages
have just been split by nnmail-split-methods and when I enter the group
some messages shows up as read. The agent is *not* involved, as this happens
in a mail-only incarnation of Gnus with (setq gnus-agent-cache nil) and
(setq gnus-agent nil) in .gnus.el.

It is an old and *very* annoying bug. I still have no clue what triggers
it.  I would be very happy if somebody could tell me what I could do to
help debugging when I see it next time...

Robert Epprecht

* Re: nntp articles wrongly marked as read ('O')
@ 2003-07-02 18:38   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2003-07-02 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> I don't know if this could be the same bug, but I still see occasionally
> some messages marked as read (*and* unseen!) in *nnml* groups.  Last time
> it happened maybe three weeks ago with CVS head of this date. The messages
> have just been split by nnmail-split-methods and when I enter the group
> some messages shows up as read. The agent is *not* involved, as this happens
> in a mail-only incarnation of Gnus with (setq gnus-agent-cache nil) and
> (setq gnus-agent nil) in .gnus.el.

I can confirm this behavior.  It often seems to happen if you receive
an answer to within a thread where the old messages were already
intentionally marked as read _and_ when there is an unrelated but more
recent message ticked.

> It is an old and *very* annoying bug. I still have no clue what triggers
> it.

Yes, that's the problem.  Whenever I try to trigger the bug manually,
it does not happen; but then, after some weeks, I enter my default nnml
group with 'C-u RET' and article I've never read are marked as read.

--

@ 2003-07-05 19:16     ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-07-05 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

>> [ ... ] I still see occasionally some messages marked as read
>> (*and* unseen!) in *nnml* groups.

>> The messages have just been split by nnmail-split-methods and when
>> I enter the group some messages show up as read.
>> The agent is *not* involved, [...]

> I can confirm this behavior.  It often seems to happen if you receive
> an answer to within a thread where the old messages were already
> intentionally marked as read _and_ when there is an unrelated but more
> recent message ticked.

That's possible, but I'm quite sure that I have seen it with messages
*not* belonging to a thread.

On the other hand we once had (in an earlier discussion about it) the
impression, that *moving* (other) messages from (or maybe also into)
the group could be involved.  In all the cases I have seen in between,
this seems possible, but I do not really know yet...

>> It is an old and *very* annoying bug. I still have no clue what triggers
>> it.

> Yes, that's the problem. [...]

Robert Epprecht