* bug in gnus digest handling (maybe?)
@ 1999-11-07  7:46 Soren Dayton
From: Soren Dayton @ 1999-11-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mailman digests come structured as the following kind of mime obejct

multipart/mixed
  header (text/plain)
  multipart/digest
    stuff
    stuff
    stuff
    stuff
  footer (text/plain)

multipart/digest requires that the parts are to be interpreted as
content-type message/rfc822.  but the parts of a multipart/digest are
treated as messages with NO MORE STRUCTURE.

That is, when you C-d the message you get a summary buffer like:

   [ 202: mailman-users-admin@] <* mixed> Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #380 - 3 msgs
       [  14: mailman-users-admin@] <1 text>
       [   6: mailman-users-admin@] <2 text>
       [ 158: mailman-users-admin@] <3.* digest>
M          [  18: Markus Keller       ] [Mailman-Users] Problems with sendmail
M          [  31: Pete Holsberg       ] [Mailman-Users] Help!
M          [  62: Barry A. Warsaw     ] [Mailman-Users] Announcing Mailman 1.1
       [   5: mailman-users-admin@] <4 text>

BUT an article buffer like:

From: mailman-users-admin@python.org
Subject: Mailman-Users digest, Vol 1 #380 - 3 msgs
To: mailman-users@python.org
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 01:08:42 -0500 (EST)

Message: 3
From: "Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 00:15:06 -0500 (EST)
To: mailman-announce@python.org
Cc: mailman-users@python.org
Cc: mailman-developers@python.org

Where the headers are inherited from the top level part.  But there is
no way to get at the message itself.  R/r uses the DIGEST headers
(effectively implementing Reply-To munging in Gnus!), not the
particular message headers.  When you do a `K b' you can see why:
because the mime engine is viewing these as text/plain's rather than
message/rfc822's.

Any ideas?  I don't understand what is happening in gnus-art or
whether there is the machinery to have the parts of a multipart
document have a specific mime type.  But this is something that I find
really annoying.  If someone could point me in the right direction,
I'd love to fix it.

Thanks
Soren

only message in thread, other threads:[~1999-11-07  7:46 UTC | newest]