* nnfolder and nnmail-split-fancy
@ 2007-04-07 22:34 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2007-04-07 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been using the nnml backend for a long time, but I'm considering
moving some of my mail to the nnfolder backend (mostly to simplify the
inode and block size issues).

Setting up my gnus-secondary-select-methods to allow nnfolders was
straightfoward. Using "B" "c" to copy mail over for testing worked
just fine.

But when I changed "name" to "nnfolder:name" in nnmail-split-fancy,
instead of having mail split into the nnfolder group, Gnus (No Gnus 0.6)
created an nnml group called "nnfolder:name".

Is there a trick I'm missing?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | All the labors of the ages, all the
http://nwalsh.com/            | devotion, all the inspiration, all the
                              | noonday brightness of human genius, are
                              | destined to extinction.--Bertrand
                              | Russell

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: nnfolder and nnmail-split-fancy
@ 2007-04-11 14:02 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2007-04-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> But when I changed "name" to "nnfolder:name" in nnmail-split-fancy,
> instead of having mail split into the nnfolder group, Gnus (No Gnus 0.6)
> created an nnml group called "nnfolder:name".

Splitting does not work across backends.  Gnus iterates over all
backends, finds one that reads mail.  Then it fetches mail according
to mail-sources and splits it according to nnmail-split-methods.  Then
when it comes to the second backend, there is nothing to split because
all mail has gone.

Theoretically, you could have two files and use per-server variables
to set mail-sources to the first file and nnmail-split-methods to one
value for the first server, and to set mail-sources to the second file
and set nnmail-split-methods to another value for the second server.
Then remains the question how to split the incoming mail into two
files...

This is not pretty.

Kai