* Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-21 18:00 William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-04-21 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible yet to do mail splitting to a backend _other_ than the one
doing the retrieval?

I currently keep all of my email on my laptop, but would prefer to leave
the vast majority of it in IMAP back in seattle.  Email things that I tend
to deal with on long plane rides (Emacs/W3, XEmacs, etc), I want to have
local to the laptop so I can do things unplugged.

So I want to have the imap splitting code split some things into a nnml
folders, and the rest into just normal imap folders.

Or is there an easy way to tell the agent to cache _every_ mail message
locally for certain groups, whether I have actually read the thing or not?
I'm still fairly agent & cache ignorant.

-Bill P.

* Re: Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-21 23:15 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1999-04-21 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

William> I want to have local to the laptop so I can do things
William> unplugged.

William> Or is there an easy way to tell the agent to cache _every_
William> mail message locally for certain groups, whether I have
William> actually read the thing or not?  I'm still fairly agent &
William> cache ignorant.

Agent support for imap is really what you want.  The good news is that
it works under IMAP, I've done it.  The bad news is that it doesn't
work completely.  Specifically, when you exit a nnimap group under a
unplugged gnus, it still tries to talk to the imap server to update
the mark list.  Fixing this would require nnimap to stash the mark
changes until gnus became plugged again (the wrong way to do it), or
to have gnus support backend mark processing better so that gnus will
automatically cache commands sent to the imap server, and then ask the
backend to "really do it" later.

Of course, someone will probably correct my assumptions...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-22 15:07   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-04-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

  > [...]  Specifically, when you exit a nnimap group under a
  > unplugged gnus, it still tries to talk to the imap server to
  > update the mark list.  Fixing this would require nnimap to stash
  > the mark changes until gnus became plugged again (the wrong way to
  > do it), [...]

There's a message on the gnus-imap list which explains how to do
this.  Would you like me to dig it up?

(I don't use IMAP yet, but I keep this message for some later time...)

kai
--
Abort this operation?   [Abort]  [Cancel]

* Re: Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-22 16:09 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-04-22 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

> Is it possible yet to do mail splitting to a backend _other_ than the one
> doing the retrieval?
>
> I currently keep all of my email on my laptop, but would prefer to leave
> the vast majority of it in IMAP back in seattle.  Email things that I tend
> to deal with on long plane rides (Emacs/W3, XEmacs, etc), I want to have
> local to the laptop so I can do things unplugged.
>
> So I want to have the imap splitting code split some things into a nnml
> folders, and the rest into just normal imap folders.

This isn't possible. Currently all backends need to do their own
splitting (it just happens to be that all mail backends except nnimap
uses the same splitting code -- no, nnimap can't share that code).

Backend independent splitting would be cool.

-s

* Re: Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-22 16:18   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-04-22 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wmperry, ding

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Agent support for imap is really what you want.  The good news is that
> it works under IMAP, I've done it.  The bad news is that it doesn't
> work completely.  Specifically, when you exit a nnimap group under a
> unplugged gnus, it still tries to talk to the imap server to update
> the mark list.  Fixing this would require nnimap to stash the mark
> changes until gnus became plugged again (the wrong way to do it), or
> to have gnus support backend mark processing better so that gnus will
> automatically cache commands sent to the imap server, and then ask the
> backend to "really do it" later.

I wrote a `nnagent-request-set-mark', similar to your second solution,
some time ago. It stashes flag setting requests to a file, when you
become plugged you `eval-buffer' the file. It should be trivial to
plug it into Gnus. I'll see what I can do...

-s

* Re: Splitting across backends...
@ 1999-04-23 22:47     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1999-04-23 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wes Hardaker, wmperry, ding

Simon> I wrote a `nnagent-request-set-mark', similar to your second
Simon> solution, some time ago. It stashes flag setting requests to a
Simon> file, when you become plugged you `eval-buffer' the file. It
Simon> should be trivial to plug it into Gnus. I'll see what I can
Simon> do...

Cool!  I vaguely recall seeing you post this to the nnimap list
earlier today (a group I haven't read yet).  I'll be trying it out
shortly, thanks a bunch!

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."