* searching articles when bbdb is enabled
@ 1999-03-30  0:06 lantz moore
From: lantz moore @ 1999-03-30  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

every once in a while, when searching articles using
gnus-summary-search-article i get the error message: "message unexists".
it seems to happen when an article is of zero length, that is, just
headers and it seems to be bbdb choking on it[1].

so, then, why the hell am i posting this to the ding list?  hmmm, good
question.  well, i guess i'm wondering if gnus shouldn't inhibit the
gnus-article-prepare-hook while searching, as it does with various other
hooks.

or is the default bbdb setup putting bbdb/gnus-update-record into the
wrong hook?  it sure doesn't seem like you'd want to do the update record
thing while searching...

bbdb and gnus versions are:
BBDB version 2.00 (1998/03/16 07:48:00)
Pterodactyl Gnus v0.80

bbdb/gnus params are:
(setq gnus-use-bbdb t)
(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'sc)
(setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)

[1]
Signaling: (error "message unexists")
  signal(error ("message unexists"))
  cerror("message unexists")
  apply(cerror "message unexists")
  error("message unexists")
  bbdb/gnus-update-record()
  run-hooks(bbdb/gnus-update-record)
  apply(run-hooks bbdb/gnus-update-record)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-article-prepare-hook)
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  gnus-article-prepare(47 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(47 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article()
  gnus-summary-search-article("assurej" nil)
  #<compiled-function (from "gnus-sum.elc") (regexp &optional backward) "...(28)" [regexp "" gnus-last-search-regexp gnus-summary-search-article backward gnus-summary-show-thread error "Search failed: \"%s\""] 3 ("/home/lmoore/lib/xemacs/gnus/lisp/gnus-sum.elc" . 185857) (list (read-string ...) current-prefix-arg)>("" nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-search-article-forward)

--
lantz moore, contigo software                              lmoore@contigo.com

* Re: searching articles when bbdb is enabled
@ 1999-03-30 15:57 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1999-03-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

lantz moore writes:

> every once in a while, when searching articles using
> gnus-summary-search-article i get the error message: "message unexists".
> it seems to happen when an article is of zero length, that is, just
> headers and it seems to be bbdb choking on it[1].

This is fixed in the latest BBDB (2.00.06), but I'm not sure which
version it was fixed in.

> so, then, why the hell am i posting this to the ding list?  hmmm, good
> question.  well, i guess i'm wondering if gnus shouldn't inhibit the
> gnus-article-prepare-hook while searching, as it does with various other
> hooks.

But when it is searching, it has to show the article, so it should be
calling that hook.

> or is the default bbdb setup putting bbdb/gnus-update-record into the
> wrong hook?

No.

> it sure doesn't seem like you'd want to do the update record
> thing while searching...

Which is a better hook to hang bbdb/gnus-update-record off of?

--
Colin

* Re: searching articles when bbdb is enabled
@ 1999-03-30 16:59   ` lantz moore
From: lantz moore @ 1999-03-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> lantz moore writes:
>
> > every once in a while, when searching articles using
> > gnus-summary-search-article i get the error message: "message unexists".
> > it seems to happen when an article is of zero length, that is, just
> > headers and it seems to be bbdb choking on it[1].
>
> This is fixed in the latest BBDB (2.00.06), but I'm not sure which
> version it was fixed in.

ahhh, thanks.  i'll have to grab that.

> > so, then, why the hell am i posting this to the ding list?  hmmm, good
> > question.  well, i guess i'm wondering if gnus shouldn't inhibit the
> > gnus-article-prepare-hook while searching, as it does with various other
> > hooks.
>
> But when it is searching, it has to show the article, so it should be
> calling that hook.

ok, that's fair enough i guess.

> Which is a better hook to hang bbdb/gnus-update-record off of?

how about gnus-select-article-hook, that doesn't seem to get called when
searching.

-l