* I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:06 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-09-09 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Versions: Win10, amd64
	  GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32) of 2019-08-29
          Gnus v5.13

I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups, like so:
  #    168: nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general

Anyone knows why? Anyone knows what this means? Anyone knows how to get
rid of it?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:16 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-09-09 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Versions: Win10, amd64
> 	  GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32) of 2019-08-29
>           Gnus v5.13
>
> I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups, like so:
>   #    168: nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>
> Anyone knows why? Anyone knows what this means? Anyone knows how to get
> rid of it?

That's "group marking". I'm not sure how you marked all your groups at
once (I thought there might be a toggle-all-group-marks command that
would toggle everything from unmarked to marked at once, but it doesn't
look like there is), but you can unmark them all with "M U".

Look into group marking! It can be useful.

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:17 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-09-09 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sep 09 2021, Steinar Bang wrote:

> I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups, like so:
>   #    168: nntp+news.gmane.io:gmane.emacs.gnus.general
>
> Anyone knows why? Anyone knows what this means? Anyone knows how to get
> rid of it?

M-# runs the command gnus-group-unmark-group (found in
gnus-group-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘gnus-group.el’.

It is bound to M-#, M u, <menu-bar> <Groups> <Mark> <Unmark group>.

(gnus-group-unmark-group N)

Remove the mark from the current group.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:24   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2021-09-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

On Sep 09 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> That's "group marking". I'm not sure how you marked all your groups at
> once (I thought there might be a toggle-all-group-marks command that
> would toggle everything from unmarked to marked at once, but it doesn't
> look like there is),

There is M b (gnus-group-mark-buffer) which marks all visible groups.

Andreas.

--

@ 2021-09-09 20:46   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-09-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> That's "group marking". I'm not sure how you marked all your groups at
> once (I thought there might be a toggle-all-group-marks command that
> would toggle everything from unmarked to marked at once, but it doesn't
> look like there is), but you can unmark them all with "M U".

Thanks! That worked. (I tried "M-#" and "M-S-#" and "#", but none of
them worked).

> Look into group marking! It can be useful.

Ok.  Will check it out.  Thanks! :-)

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:47     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-09-09 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> There is M b (gnus-group-mark-buffer) which marks all visible groups.

Hm... I must have pressed this (or something similar) by mistake...

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:48   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-09-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> M-# runs the command gnus-group-unmark-group (found in
> gnus-group-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> ‘gnus-group.el’.

I actually tried that one, and it didn't do anything for me.

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-09 20:58       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-09-09 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> There is M b (gnus-group-mark-buffer) which marks all visible groups.
>
> Hm... I must have pressed this (or something similar) by mistake...

Thanks for that tip, Andreas. The command name doesn't lend itself to
discovery... It's also definitely easy to hit by mistake!

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-10  9:31   ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2021-09-10  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> Look into group marking! It can be useful.

Yes, and confusing at the same time.  I often use it to search in
multiple groups at once - e.g when looking for some email I'm not quite
sure where got sorted.  Very useful.

But then I forget to remove the marks, place the cursor on some group I
want to search, press G G, and scratch my head why that didn't
work. Very confused until I remember the stale marks from my previous
search.

This can be fixed by better training of course.  My best hope is for the
younger generation.

Bjørn

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-10 10:07       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-10 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thursday,  9 Sep 2021 at 22:47, Steinar Bang wrote:
> Hm... I must have pressed this (or something similar) by mistake...

Just in case you are not aware, next time something like this happens,
you might wish to type "C-h l" (view-lossage) which shows all the recent
key strokes and the associated commands invoked.  Very useful,
especially in gnus where magic seems to happen inadvertently
sometimes...

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-10 13:12         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2021-09-10 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Just in case you are not aware, next time something like this happens,
> you might wish to type "C-h l" (view-lossage) which shows all the recent
> key strokes and the associated commands invoked.  Very useful,
> especially in gnus where magic seems to happen inadvertently
> sometimes...

Just tried it.  Very useful.  I'll have to remember that.

Thanks for the tip!

* Re: I suddenly got a "#" in front of all groups
@ 2021-09-10 17:56     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-09-10 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjørn Mork; +Cc: ding

Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> writes:

>> Look into group marking! It can be useful.
>
> Yes, and confusing at the same time.  I often use it to search in
> multiple groups at once - e.g when looking for some email I'm not quite
> sure where got sorted.  Very useful.
>
> But then I forget to remove the marks, place the cursor on some group I
> want to search, press G G, and scratch my head why that didn't
> work. Very confused until I remember the stale marks from my previous
> search.

This used to be even more confusing than that: previously, marked groups
with no new messages were also hidden by default, meaning that if you
did your search and then refreshed Gnus, you wouldn't even see that the
group was marked, because it was hidden! All subsequent searches would
only apply to the marked group(s), leading to some real sanity-doubting
moments. At least marked groups are always visible now, regardless of
their read-message status.