Per Abrahamsen writes: > wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes: > > > Emacs/W3 is probably going to die very soon, due to lack of time and > > interest on my part. > > Arrgghh! It has just gotten useful. The way w3 displays text/html > (after turning off all features) in Gnus means that it almost doesn't > bother me anymore. I also use it for following links in Gnus articles. I agree that the integration with Gnus kicks ass, but there is no way that I am going to bother implementing some of the stupid shit coming out of the W3C (CSS2 + CSS3). I think a few things need to happen: 1) URL loading gets completely separated. This is mostly done. It could do with more of a rewrite to be even more asynch though. 2) XML parser as a c-level plugin or using the current external program + xml.el that I have attached. 3) A semi-minimal CSS2 implementation that would be enough to render simple XML documents and tables correctly. 4) Perhaps use DSSSL in light of the stupid microsoft patent claiming to cover CSS. 5) More people than me and Thierry doing substantial work. The current HTML parser and display engine could then suffer from bitrot and not many people would care. Between work, family, and trying to have more of a life, I just don't have the time to devote to Emacs/W3 any more. I'm going to talk to hrvoje, steve, et al about some of this breakout and work while I am in japan. I'll likely draft something that goes out to w3-beta and w3-dev as a plea for help on the plan outlined above on the plane ride over. If only I could convince Aventail to pay me to write elisp instead of (shudder) C/C++.[1] > Netscape is still used as the "stand-alone" browser, for reading > /. and comics. More sites tend more and more to be unusable without javascript and other stupid shit. Truly depressing. I avoid the web like the plague it has become. :) -Bill P. [1] I did at one point have a pretty kick-ass Emacs interface to our server config file that we actually sent to some customers that wanted a TTY version of the config tool. :)