* nnjmap coming up...?
@ 2016-06-01 20:31 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2016-06-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

JMAP http://jmap.io is sort-of "IMAP over HTTP".

It's a JSON-over-HTTP protocol organized to mimic the capabilities of
IMAP, and tries to do things with as few round trips as possible.

Dovecot plans to implement it[1], the first version will be available in
Dovecot 2.3[2], so then there will be an actual server to use it with.

I'm not sure what other advantages/disadvantages it has WRT IMAP, but it
would have solved my recent problem with the firewall at work[3]

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/84584
[2] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/84890
[3] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/86894

* Re: nnjmap coming up...?
@ 2016-06-01 21:39 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 2016-06-01 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

SB> Dovecot plans to implement it[1], the first version will be
SB> available in Dovecot 2.3[2], so then there will be an actual server
SB> to use it with.

JMAP comes from the Fastmail folks, who also maintain Cyrus.  I believe
the current development version of Cyrus already supports it, though I'm
not currently running it.

SB> I'm not sure what other advantages/disadvantages it has WRT IMAP,
SB> but it would have solved my recent problem with the firewall at
SB> work[3]

It has several advantages, but also the disadvantage that it isn't IMAP
and thus that very little supports it.

 - J<

* Re: nnjmap coming up...?
@ 2017-09-20 18:03   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-09-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> JMAP comes from the Fastmail folks, who also maintain Cyrus.  I believe
> the current development version of Cyrus already supports it, though I'm
> not currently running it.

I'm not currently running cyrus either.  I used cyrus from 1999/2000 or
thereabouts until 2008, when I switched to dovecot, and I don't plan to
go back.

I lost all read marks at least twice during the time I was running
cyrus.  I haven't had any issues with dovecot in the last nine years.

SB> I'm not sure what other advantages/disadvantages it has WRT IMAP,
SB> but it would have solved my recent problem with the firewall at
SB> work[3]

> It has several advantages, but also the disadvantage that it isn't IMAP
> and thus that very little supports it.

Just dovecot and Gnus supporting it, would have been enough to make me
happy...

* Re: nnjmap coming up...?
@ 2017-09-21 16:54     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2017-09-21 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> It has several advantages, but also the disadvantage that it isn't
>> IMAP and thus that very little supports it.

> Just dovecot and Gnus supporting it, would have been enough to make me
> happy...

I tried to find out what has happened on jmap in dovecot since 2016 and
couldn't find anything in dovecot's git archive, so I asked on the
dovecot mailing list and they still have JMAP in their plans, but haven't
started work on JMAP yet.

So that means the only server side solution for me for the time being is
setting up the JMAP proxy[1], which I could do, but from what I've read
the performance of the proxy isn't great.

So no rush in implementing a client, I guess... at least not for me.

[1] <https://github.com/jmapio/jmap-perl>