* Plaintext authentication?
@ 2008-06-28 19:38 Alejandro Benitez
From: Alejandro Benitez @ 2008-06-28 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,
Gnus v5.13.
Does the following mean that my password is transmitted plaintext?

Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on gmail...
imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
Waiting for response from imap.gmail.com...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...
imap: Plaintext authentication...
imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...done
Opening nnimap server on gmail...done
nnimap: Checking mailboxes...done
nnimap: Listing subscribed mailboxes on gmail...done

TIA.

* Re: Plaintext authentication?
@ 2008-06-29  8:52 ` Nikolaus Rath
From: Nikolaus Rath @ 2008-06-29  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alejandro Benitez <benitezalejandrogm@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
> Gnus v5.13.
> Does the following mean that my password is transmitted plaintext?
>
> Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
> Opening nnimap server on gmail...
> imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
> imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
> Waiting for response from imap.gmail.com...done
> Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
> imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...
> imap: Plaintext authentication...
> imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...done

You are using the LOGIN method, which sends the plain password over
the IMAP connection. However, your entire IMAP connection is SSL
encrypted, so you shouldn't worry. AFAIK, of course.

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 Nikolaus@rath.org | College Ring 6, 28759 Bremen, Germany
 Class of 2008 - Physics | Jacobs University Bremen

 »My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.«

* Re: Plaintext authentication?
@ 2008-07-01 20:32 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-01 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Benitez; +Cc: ding

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:38:03 -0300 Alejandro Benitez <benitezalejandrogm@gmail.com> wrote:

AB> Does the following mean that my password is transmitted plaintext?

AB> Reading active file from gmail via nnimap...
AB> Opening nnimap server on gmail...
AB> imap: Connecting to imap.gmail.com...
AB> imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
AB> Waiting for response from imap.gmail.com...done
AB> Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
AB> imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...
AB> imap: Plaintext authentication...
AB> imap: Authenticating to `imap.gmail.com' using `login'...done
AB> Opening nnimap server on gmail...done
AB> nnimap: Checking mailboxes...done
AB> nnimap: Listing subscribed mailboxes on gmail...done

No, but you can always make sure :)

Use tcpdump/snoop on Unix/Mac OS or Ethereal/Wireshark on Windows.

Ted