Kai Grossjohann writes: > >>>>> On 21 Oct 1997, François Pinard said: > > François> One thing that we also needed, and for a long while, is > François> using makeinfo whenever possible to generate the manuals. > François> Emacs is just too slow at it, and makeinfo is not so bad > François> anyway :-). Whatever the trick is, makeinfo should be > François> used if available on the installing system. > > I've been typing "make makeinfo" for a LONG time now and haven't had > any problems with it. Yes, but you have to go read the makefile to figure that out. Its not in the manual, the .el files, the texi files, nothing. :) [gnus]find . -type f -print | xargs fgrep -i makeinfo ./texi/Makefile:MAKEINFO=$(EMACS) -batch -q -no-site-file ./texi/Makefile: $(MAKEINFO) -eval '(find-file "gnus.texi")' $(XINFOSWI) ./texi/Makefile: $(MAKEINFO) -eval '(find-file "message.texi")' $(XINFOSWI) ./texi/Makefile:makeinfo: ./texi/Makefile: makeinfo -o gnus gnus.texi ./texi/Makefile: makeinfo -o message message.texi If you are using autoconf, you can make it automatically choose one or the other, automatically. The Emacs/W3 aclocal.m4 has grown quite a bit over the last few months, and has macros to run arbitrary lisp in the emacs you have chosen, and get the return values. This is how I check for the existence of widget, custom, package support in XEmacs, etc. -Bill P.