* Using spam.el to report spam to gmane
@ 2008-12-05 16:47 Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2008-12-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

        I use Gnus to read a fair amount of mailing lists via
 NNTP/gmane, and I'd like to gent involved in helping  report spam to
 gmane. I have been trying to use spam.el to do so. Since I have a large
 number of mailing lists, I did not want to use `G P' on every group, so
 I wanted to just set the corresponding variables in my gnusrc
 file. Unfortunately, the documentation present is not up to the task of
 unconfusing me.

	I added this to my gnusrc:
(setq gnus-spam-autodetect-methods
      '(
        (".*" . (spam-use-blacklist
                 spam-use-BBDB
                 ;;spam-use-bogofilter
                 spam-use-gmane-xref))
        ))              ;default
(setq gnus-spam-autodetect '(("^nntp.*" . t)
                             ("^gmane\\." .t)
                             ("^nnml:\\(debian-.*\\)$" . t)))

(setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
      '(("^nntp+news.gmane.org" ((spam spam-use-gmane)))
        ("^gmane\\."            ((gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))
        (".*" nil)                      ;test
        ))

;; Since the above did not seem to do anything, try this
(add-to-list
 'gnus-parameters
 '("^gmane\\."
   (spam-autodetect-methods spam-use-gmane-xref spam-use-gmane spam-use-BBDB)
   (spam-autodetect . t)
   (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane))
   ))

        As you can see, thre is some duplication here, as I tried to get
 this to work.  It seems to properly recognize spam; ao the
 spam-atuodetect part is right.  But while sniffing my network traffic
 while leaving a group where I had marked articles as spam, no report
 was sent to gmane.

        What am I doing wrong? Is the spam reporting deferred in some
 way? Do I need to take additional action?

        manoj

--
It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their
dignity.

* Re: Using spam.el to report spam to gmane
@ 2008-12-08 18:47 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-12-08 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:47:00 -0600 Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@golden-gryphon.com> wrote:

MS> 	I added this to my gnusrc:
MS> (setq gnus-spam-autodetect-methods
MS>       '(
MS>         (".*" . (spam-use-blacklist
MS>                  spam-use-BBDB
MS>                  ;;spam-use-bogofilter
MS>                  spam-use-gmane-xref))
MS>         ))              ;default
MS> (setq gnus-spam-autodetect '(("^nntp.*" . t)
MS>                              ("^gmane\\." .t)
MS>                              ("^nnml:\\(debian-.*\\)$" . t)))

MS> (setq gnus-spam-process-newsgroups
MS>       '(("^nntp+news.gmane.org" ((spam spam-use-gmane)))
MS>         ("^gmane\\."            ((gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane)))
MS>         (".*" nil)                      ;test
MS>         ))

MS> ;; Since the above did not seem to do anything, try this
MS> (add-to-list
MS>  'gnus-parameters
MS>  '("^gmane\\."
MS>    (spam-autodetect-methods spam-use-gmane-xref spam-use-gmane spam-use-BBDB)
MS>    (spam-autodetect . t)
MS>    (spam-process (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-report-gmane))
MS>    ))

MS>         As you can see, thre is some duplication here, as I tried to get
MS>  this to work.  It seems to properly recognize spam; ao the
MS>  spam-atuodetect part is right.  But while sniffing my network traffic
MS>  while leaving a group where I had marked articles as spam, no report
MS>  was sent to gmane.

MS>         What am I doing wrong? Is the spam reporting deferred in some
MS>  way? Do I need to take additional action?

First of all, turn up gnus-verbose to 10 and watch *Messages*.  You'll
see at least some indication that things are happening, if they are.
Easier than sniffing network traffic, I hope.  spam.el only does work
when you exit the group so you were looking in the right time frame.

Every Gnus parameter that spam.el uses has a test function.  Those are
created by macros in the parameter definition; here's what you need:

(gnus-parameter-spam-process group)

This should return a list looking like this

(((ham spam-use-whitelist)))

That's the easy way to test your settings, too.  When you have things
working, please let us know.  I have not used the global gnus-parameters
variable much, preferring to set topic/group parameters.

For GMane reporting in particular, it's setup like so in spam.el:

(spam-install-nocheck-backend 'spam-use-gmane
			      'spam-report-gmane-unregister-routine
			      'spam-report-gmane-register-routine
			      'spam-report-gmane-register-routine
			      'spam-report-gmane-unregister-routine)

So you want the cell (spam spam-use-gmane) in your parameter list
above.

Ted