From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Problems with gnus-registry
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:57:47 -0600	[thread overview]

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:21:53 -0500 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

Jake> I am starting to use gnus-registry so that emails are filed in the same
Jake> folder as its parent.  Unfortunately, it does not seem to be working.
Jake> Hopefuly, I am simply just misusing it in some way.

Jake> These settings appear in my .gnus file:

Jake> -----------------------------------------------

Jake> (setq gnus-registry-max-entries 2500
Jake>       gnus-registry-use-long-group-names nil)

Jake> (gnus-registry-initialize)

Jake> (setq nnimap-split-fancy
Jake>       '(|
Jake>         ; some up-front splitting
Jake>         (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)

Hi Jake,

this looks OK.  Can you send me your registry contents for a particular
message that didn't get split properly, and the message itself?  Also
the stuff in *messages* (make sure you increase gnus-verbose before you
run it) printed by the registry would be helpful.

Jake> I will typically send an email such that, using gcc-self, it wil be filed
Jake> into a specified group.  I would expect that gnus-registry would auto-file
Jake> any reply to that email into the same group as its parent.  Instead, it gets
Jake> filed using the other rules contained in nnimap-split-fancy.

This should work.  You can look in the registry file (after you save it)
to check what's stored.  Also you can do

M-: (gethash "ID" gnus-registry-hashtb)

where ID is the message ID (as the registry remembers it, with brackets
and all) to see the exact registry info about a message.  In fact, do
this M-: before anything else to be sure the registry is loaded and
knows about your messages.

Jake> Similarly, I will sometimes manually copy an unread email into a specific
Jake> group.  I will then go to that group, and reply to that email.  Again
Jake> subsequent replies are not filed with its parent.

This should definitely be noticed by the registry.  Again, I need to see
the registry contents and the message that didn't get filed right, plus
the *messages* if possible.

Jake> Finally, incoming emails might be auto-filtered into a specific group via
Jake> nnimap-split-fancy.  I will then go to that group, and read and and reply to
Jake> that email.  Again subsequent replies are not filed with its parent.

Jake> Should gnus-registry handle these cases as I am expecting?  If so, what do I
Jake> need to do to make it work?

Note that if you have more than 2500 registry entries, the older ones
will get expired when you save, and the registry won't remember where
they lived.  Additionally, every time you visit a group with N visible
messages, the registry will make N entries by design.  Turn off
gnus-registry-max-entries while testing and see if it makes a
difference.  Each entry is not big, it's just a list, so you'll pay a
little more memory, that's all.

I think all these cases should be handled, and they work for me.  I need
the debug info.

Ted