From: Wayne Harris <wharris1@protonmail.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Automatically displaying content of [some] attachments
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 15:41:24 -0300	[thread overview]

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Adam writes:
>
>> What do I need to configure to have that done automatically, so I don't
>> have to navigate to the attachment and press RET?
>
> The motivating factor of asking a question is incredible.

Yes, that's very interesting.  I hypothesize that the words should not
be ``motivating factor'', but rather a ``consequence'' of asking a
question.  That is, I'd have written ``the consequence of asking a
question is /almost/ incredible''.

I don't even think it really must be asked to the public.  By just
putting precisely the question down to yourself seems to _essentially_
do the same job.  Of course, without the public's scrutiny, you're
relevantly limited and denied the joy and profit of exchange.

The consequence is that it organizes your thoughts in an academic way.
I mean, it well-organizes your thoughts.  You want the answer and you
want it quick, so you present the problem in a very clear, trivial way,
as it should always be presented.  First you prove there is a problem,
thereby implicitly challenging everyone to solve it, even with a
theoretical solution, so you craft the problem to allow a meaningful but
perhaps not useful solution.  That in itself is already a design of the
solution, so while everyone reads your work, you try your hand at the
most trivial solution possible.  Perhaps then you improve it and this
way, by and by, you might understand all the engineering required to get
a real-world solution to the problem.

That is all a consequence of presenting a problem in a well-organized
way.  This is why so many interesting scientists have praised the
importance of asking a good question.  Asking a good question demands
understanding; intellectual understanding seems to be a form of
well-organization.  Asking a good question requires sincerity and even
courage to admit your inability to answer it; such properties in
themselves check the entire educational system all over the world.