* PGP/MIME signing messages by default
@ 2002-11-27  3:09 Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2002-11-27  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

How would I turn on automatic GPG signing of outgoing emails?  Could
someone point me in the right direction?

It would be nice if I could do this based on a group name.  Can this
be done using gnus-posting-styles, or is that only for the stuff that
goes into the headers?

Many thanks in advance,
--
Arcady Genkin

guilt is the cause of more disauders
than history's most obscene marorders                       (E.E. Cummings)

* Re: PGP/MIME signing messages by default
@ 2002-11-27  8:11 ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-11-27  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <agenkin@thpoon.com> writes:

> How would I turn on automatic GPG signing of outgoing emails?  Could
> someone point me in the right direction?
>
> It would be nice if I could do this based on a group name.  Can this
> be done using gnus-posting-styles, or is that only for the stuff that
> goes into the headers?

I use the following :

;;
;; smime sign/verify messages
;;

;; regexp of groups from which new messages are smime signed by default
(setq my-sign-smime-group-regexp "^mail.work")

;; same, for gpg
(setq my-sign-pgp-group-regexp "^mail.perso")

;; hook to setup message
(defun my-mml-secure-message-sign ()
  (cond
   ;; smime
   ((string-match my-sign-smime-group-regexp gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (mml-secure-message-sign-smime))

   ;; pgp
   ((string-match my-sign-pgp-group-regexp gnus-newsgroup-name)
    (mml-secure-message-sign-pgp))))

;; plug this into message-setup-hook
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'my-mml-secure-message-sign)

Hope this helps.

--
Nicolas

* Re: PGP/MIME signing messages by default
@ 2002-11-27 16:57   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 2002-11-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

> ;; plug this into message-setup-hook
> (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'my-mml-secure-message-sign)

I have simplified your suggestion to the following:

   (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime)

This only works for new messages, however.  It looks like Gnus expects
to find the markup "<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>" as the first
line of the message, or else it is ignored...

I guess I can write another function that would save cursor position,
go to the top of the message, invoke `mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime'
and return to the initial position, but I am thinking that there
must be a cleaner, cannonical way of making this work.

Thanks for your reply,