* Possibly OT: problem with gpg.el
@ 2001-01-26  5:23 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-01-26  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm really liking the whole gpg experience, and there's only one thing
that's keeping me from working on auto-validation of all PGP-signed
messages -- the fact that there seems to be no way to auto-fetch
unknown keys.

Am I being clueless here?  Should I try to write some elisp?  What do
I do? :-)

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at tbe dot net

* Re: Possibly OT: problem with gpg.el
@ 2001-01-26  6:46 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-01-26  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@tbe.net> writes:

> I'm really liking the whole gpg experience, and there's only one thing
> that's keeping me from working on auto-validation of all PGP-signed
> messages -- the fact that there seems to be no way to auto-fetch
> unknown keys.
>
> Am I being clueless here? Should I try to write some elisp? What do I
> do? :-)

Well, I don't have a solution within XEmacs (or Gnus), but...

,----[ ~/.gnupg/options ]
| # Options for GnuPG
|
| [...]
|
| # GnuPG can import a key from a HKP keyerver if one is missing
| # for sercain operations. Is you set this option to a keyserver
| # you will be asked in such a case whether GnuPG should try to
| # import the key from that server (server do syncronize with each
| # others and DNS Round-Robin may give you a random server each time).
| # Use "host -l pgp.net | grep www" to figure out a keyserver.
| keyserver www.keyserver.net
|
| # The environment variable http_proxy is only used when the
| # this option is set.
|
| honor-http-proxy
`----

This works for me. gpg will fetch unknown keys on it's very own.

Er, I do use the mailcrypt code rather than gpg.el to drive gpg but I
doubt that will make a meaningful difference...

        Daniel

--
Never stop questioning -- curiosity has its own reason for existence.
        -- Albert Einstein

* Re: Possibly OT: problem with gpg.el
@ 2001-01-26 19:28 ` Colin Marquardt
From: Colin Marquardt @ 2001-01-26 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@tbe.net> writes:

> I'm really liking the whole gpg experience, and there's only one thing
> that's keeping me from working on auto-validation of all PGP-signed
> messages -- the fact that there seems to be no way to auto-fetch
> unknown keys.

Hmm. Isn't that what you want:

| `gpg-key-retrieve' (buffer: *Hyper Apropos*, mode: Hyper-Apropos)
|
| Lisp function:
|
|   arguments: (key)
|
|   Fetch KEY from default key server.
|   KEY is a key ID or a list of key IDs.  Status information about this
|   operation is inserted into the current buffer before point.

Colin

* Re: Possibly OT: problem with gpg.el
@ 2001-01-27  3:56   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-01-27  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Daniel> Well, I don't have a solution within XEmacs (or Gnus), but...

[... keyserver stuff in the options file ...]

Daniel> This works for me. gpg will fetch unknown keys on it's very
Daniel> own.

Hrm.  This always failed for me, even when I could get the keys by
hand from keyserver.net.

Daniel> Er, I do use the mailcrypt code rather than gpg.el to drive
Daniel> gpg but I doubt that will make a meaningful difference...

This is key (no pun intended) as I haven't gotten gpg to work, but I'm
now working again with mailcrypt.  I had to go back to pgp50 since gpg
for some reason just didn't acknowledge the existence of my pub/sec
key pair.

Daniel>         Daniel

Jack.
(testing signature with this message.)
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at tbe dot net
http colon slash slash www dot tbe dot net slash tilde jmt slash

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 277 bytes --]

* Re: Possibly OT: problem with gpg.el
@ 2001-01-27  3:59   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2001-01-27  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)