* Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-27 15:24 Harry Putnam
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-27 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been running versions 26 right along but fell back to 24 a while
back.  Something I was doing then .. and never returned to v 26.  No
particular reason.

I noticed it today and switched back to my version 26 from several weeks
ago.

No problems cropped up.  Things ran just the same in the ways I
usually use gnus when I used the several weeks old v26 as they did in
v24.

I got the idea that I probably needed to update my local git branch of
emacs and update to the latest.  Upon doing so, I hit some kind of
mess with nnimap soon as I started gnus.

It appeared to be unable to access any of my 3 imap servers.  I have
made no changes in .gnus or .emacs so must be changes in the sources
since a few weeks ago... maybe as long as 2 mnths.

First I'll show the messages recorded in \*Messages\* buffer and at
the end include my nnimap setup in ~/.gnus

Just to remind reader, this difference in behavior occured when moving
from a version of v.26 several weeks old to one built from a git pull
on my local emacs branch on 170725.

Here are the messages recorded in \*Messages buffer.
(Soon as gnus finished starting up, this was what appeared):
(wrapped for mail)

  Warning:
  Opening nnimap server on hputnam3...failed: ; Unable to open server
  nnimap+hputnam3 due to: Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil
  *nntpd**-518461 has no process; Opening nnimap server on
  harrygp3...failed: ; Unable to open server nnimap+harrygp3 due to:
  Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil *nntpd** has no process; Opening
  nnimap server on hput3fm...failed: ; Unable to open server
  nnimap+hput3fm due to: Buffer *nnimap mail.messagingengine.com nil
  *nntpd** has no process

I entered the server buffer closed the 3 nnimap servers and attempted
to reopen them.  This is what was captured in \*Messages buffer:

(Seems all my certs are failing)

  Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com --protocols
  ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...failed Unable to open
  server nnimap+hputnam3 due to: Buffer *nnimap imap.gmail.com nil
  *nntpd**-296549 has no process

  Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com --protocols
  ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘imap.gmail.com’...failed

  Unable to open server nnimap+harrygp3 due to: Buffer *nnimap
  imap.gmail.com nil *nntpd**-191261 has no process

  Opening connection to mail.messagingengine.com via tls...

  Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.messagingengine.com’...

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993
  mail.messagingengine.com’...failed

  Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
  /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 mail.messagingengine.com
  --protocols ssl3’...failed

  Opening TLS connection to ‘mail.messagingengine.com’...failed

  Unable to open server nnimap+hput3fm due to: Buffer *nnimap
  mail.messagingengine.com nil *nntpd**-649751 has no process

nnimap setup in ~/.gnus:

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
  	                            '(nnimap "hputnam3"
                                    (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                   	     '(nnimap "harrygp3"
   		              (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                   	     '(nnimap "hput3fm"
 		              (nnimap-address "mail.messagingengine.com")))

The above settings worked in a version of emacs from several weeks
ago... maybe as long as 2 mnths ago.

I compiled the git pulled version of 170725 with the same configure
settings:

 ./configure --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-imagemagick \
    --with-gnutls=no

And I see in config.log that the compile process apparently added:
     --no-create --no-recursion

This is the same ./configure I've been using for several months or
longer.  The bit `--with-gnustls=no' is due to the inability of the
compile process to find the necessary libs...

That has been a persistent problem on Debian `jessie' even though I do
have some gnutls pkgs installed:

  i A libcurl3-gnutls     - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
  i   libgnutls-deb0-28   - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
  i   libgnutls-openssl27 - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
  i A libneon27-gnutls    - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

(Perhaps I need something more there)

At any rate using `--with-gnustls=no' has worked for a good while
without problems until now.

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-27 15:33 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-07-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've been running versions 26 right along but fell back to 24 a while
> back.  Something I was doing then .. and never returned to v 26.  No
> particular reason.
>
> I noticed it today and switched back to my version 26 from several weeks
> ago.
>
> No problems cropped up.  Things ran just the same in the ways I
> usually use gnus when I used the several weeks old v26 as they did in
> v24.
>
> I got the idea that I probably needed to update my local git branch of
> emacs and update to the latest.  Upon doing so, I hit some kind of
> mess with nnimap soon as I started gnus.

[...]

> (Seems all my certs are failing)

The problem is almost certainly in gnutls, not nnimap (which hasn't been
updated since January). Gnutls, on the other hand, has had a lot of
tweaks recently. I'd raise this on emacs.help...

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-27 15:37 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-07-27 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>   Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
>   /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed

Did you try running that from the cli? It might give a better
indication of what gmail is unhappy about.

>  ./configure --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-imagemagick \
>     --with-gnutls=no
>
> And I see in config.log that the compile process apparently added:
>      --no-create --no-recursion
>
> This is the same ./configure I've been using for several months or
> longer.  The bit `--with-gnustls=no' is due to the inability of the
> compile process to find the necessary libs...
>
> That has been a persistent problem on Debian `jessie' even though I do
> have some gnutls pkgs installed:
>
>   i A libcurl3-gnutls     - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
>   i   libgnutls-deb0-28   - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
>   i   libgnutls-openssl27 - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
>   i A libneon27-gnutls    - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

If you want to use the gnutls library directly, which I strongly
recommend, then you need the libgnutls development headers. The
package is probably called something like libgnutls-dev.

Regards

Robert

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-28 14:46 ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2017-07-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Harry,

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <86mv7pnbr3.fsf@local.lan> 에서》:

> [...]
>
>  ./configure --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=athena --with-imagemagick \
>     --with-gnutls=no
>
> And I see in config.log that the compile process apparently added:
>      --no-create --no-recursion
>
> This is the same ./configure I've been using for several months or
> longer.  The bit `--with-gnustls=no' is due to the inability of the
> compile process to find the necessary libs...
>
> That has been a persistent problem on Debian `jessie' even though I do
> have some gnutls pkgs installed:
>
>   i A libcurl3-gnutls     - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
>   i   libgnutls-deb0-28   - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
>   i   libgnutls-openssl27 - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
>   i A libneon27-gnutls    - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena
>
> (Perhaps I need something more there)
>
> At any rate using `--with-gnustls=no' has worked for a good while

Well i don't know about new emacs 26.x. It would be good to send bug
report, i think. Also i like you because you are in there Debian. Nice
to meet you, indeed^^^

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-29 14:52   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

soyeomul@doraji.xyz (Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희, 黃炳熙)") writes:

[...]

> Well i don't know about new emacs 26.x. It would be good to send bug
> report, i think. Also i like you because you are in there Debian. Nice
> to meet you, indeed^^^

Pleased to meet you as well Mr HWANG.

You might find quite a few folks on the gnus groups who use debian.

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-29 14:53   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>>   Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
>>   /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed
>
> Did you try running that from the cli? It might give a better
> indication of what gmail is unhappy about.

Sorry, I'm a little too dense to know how to do that.  Can you explain?

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-29 15:12   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I've been running versions 26 right along but fell back to 24 a while
>> back.  Something I was doing then .. and never returned to v 26.  No
>> particular reason.
>>
>> I noticed it today and switched back to my version 26 from several weeks
>> ago.
>>
>> No problems cropped up.  Things ran just the same in the ways I
>> usually use gnus when I used the several weeks old v26 as they did in
>> v24.
>>
>> I got the idea that I probably needed to update my local git branch of
>> emacs and update to the latest.  Upon doing so, I hit some kind of
>> mess with nnimap soon as I started gnus.
>
> [...]
>
>> (Seems all my certs are failing)
>
> The problem is almost certainly in gnutls, not nnimap (which hasn't been
> updated since January). Gnutls, on the other hand, has had a lot of
> tweaks recently. I'd raise this on emacs.help...

Thanks good to know.  I'm now redoing my emacs install from backup
completely.  Perhaps it will get cleaned up and turn out to be some of
my fumbling.

Before posting to emacs dev... since questions regarding the dev
version of emacs are sometimes frowned on at `emacs.help', I will
complete my own cleanup and retry.

Thanks for the usual solid help.

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-29 16:21   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-29 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

soyeomul@doraji.xyz (Byung-Hee HWANG "(황병희, 黃炳熙)") writes:

> Dear Harry,
>
> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> 께서 쓰시길,
>  《記事 全文 <86mv7pnbr3.fsf@local.lan> 에서》:

[...]

> Well i don't know about new emacs 26.x. It would be good to send bug
> report, i think. Also i like you because you are in there Debian. Nice
> to meet you, indeed^^^

PS - meant to include this in my other response. Just for your
information:

It is considered a good thing to do, when you post on groups, to snip
out the parts of the message you are responding to that are not
involved in your response.

An example:

When you wrote your original response to my original message, since
you were not answering any part of it, you could have snipped my
entire message, and just put your comment to me in your reply.

Makes the posts much easier to read and gets to the messages intent
right away.

Also keeps down the massive amount of unnecessary data hanging on the
servers.

Not everyone follows this guideline, but you will find it is well
appreciated by many of the folks on these groups.

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-07-29 17:12 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2017-07-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[...]

> It appeared to be unable to access any of my 3 imap servers.  I have
> made no changes in .gnus or .emacs so must be changes in the sources
> since a few weeks ago... maybe as long as 2 mnths.

For the record:

I built a version of emacs in sandbox with latest git sources.

Ran gnus.

The only thing that happened that I have not see before was that it
popped up the CERT from news.gmane.org and asked if I wanted to
continue to use it, since it was self signed.

I said yes, for that session.  The rest of startup including scanning
news/mail ... and including nnimap servers went by flawlessly.

I now think the previous problem this message is a response too, was
almost certainly some kind of pilot error.... sorry for the line
noise.

* [Just off topic ...] (was: Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull)
@ 2017-07-30  3:04     ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2017-07-30  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <86pocjxlgk.fsf@local.lan> 에서》:

> Makes the posts much easier to read and gets to the messages intent
> right away.

OK, i got it, thanks for advice!!!

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: Major mess with nnimap running latest (today) git pull
@ 2017-07-31  7:54     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-07-31  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>>
>>>   Opening TLS connection with ‘gnutls-cli --x509cafile
>>>   /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com’...failed
>>
>> Did you try running that from the cli? It might give a better
>> indication of what gmail is unhappy about.
>
> Sorry, I'm a little too dense to know how to do that.  Can you explain?

gnutls-cli --x509cafile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p 993 imap.gmail.com

although I see you've fixed your problem in the meantime. Are you
using the builtin GnuTLS support now?

Regards

Robert