* "buttons" in W3
@ 1999-02-04 14:17 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-02-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know this is how things are supposed to be, but when Gnus gets a
multipart/alternative message that has HTML it defaults to opening the HTML
when w3 exists.  Interestingly, this also means that any URL's are
buttonized in the w3 style rather than in the Gnus style that we have come
to know and love.

Essentially, this means that if I activate one of these buttons it behaves
differently if it is HTML vs. flat text.  Is this something we want to
have?  I think the short-term answer for me is to make text take the
precedence over html parts.

How does one do this in the gnus-init-file?  I would like to do
(setq mm-alternative-precedence
      (append (delete "text/html" mm-alternative-precedence)  '("text/html")))
to make sure that I keep all the other features that are in the precedence
list.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Am I elected yet?

* Re: "buttons" in W3
@ 1999-02-04 17:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-04 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> Essentially, this means that if I activate one of these buttons it behaves
> differently if it is HTML vs. flat text.  Is this something we want to
> have?

If it is HTML, I think w3 should render it the way it wants.

> I think the short-term answer for me is to make text take the
> precedence over html parts.
>
> How does one do this in the gnus-init-file?  I would like to do
> (setq mm-alternative-precedence
>       (append (delete "text/html" mm-alternative-precedence)  '("text/html")))

Just push "text/plain" onto the list.  It doesn't matter whether an
element appears more than once.

* Re: "buttons" in W3
@ 1999-02-04 17:51   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-02-04 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> How does one do this in the gnus-init-file?  I would like to do
>> (setq mm-alternative-precedence
>> (append (delete "text/html" mm-alternative-precedence)  '("text/html")))

LMI> Just push "text/plain" onto the list.  It doesn't matter whether an
LMI> element appears more than once.

My question wasn't stated clearly.  When is this list created?  It doesn't
look like the mm-* stuff is loaded until we actually start reading
articles.  Thus, I can't make changes to mm-alternative-precedence until it
actually has a value.

* Re: "buttons" in W3
@ 1999-02-04 18:12     ` Matt Pharr
From: Matt Pharr @ 1999-02-04 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:
> My question wasn't stated clearly.  When is this list created?  It doesn't
> look like the mm-* stuff is loaded until we actually start reading
> articles.  Thus, I can't make changes to mm-alternative-precedence until it
> actually has a value.

Add (require 'mm-decode) to your .gnus file before you do the
mm-alternative-precedence stuff.

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   mmp@graphics.stanford.edu
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

* Re: "buttons" in W3
@ 1999-02-04 18:38 ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1999-02-04 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> I know this is how things are supposed to be, but when Gnus gets a
> multipart/alternative message that has HTML it defaults to opening the HTML
> when w3 exists.  Interestingly, this also means that any URL's are
> buttonized in the w3 style rather than in the Gnus style that we have come
> to know and love.
>
> Essentially, this means that if I activate one of these buttons it behaves
> differently if it is HTML vs. flat text.  Is this something we want to
> have?  I think the short-term answer for me is to make text take the
> precedence over html parts.
>
> How does one do this in the gnus-init-file?  I would like to do
> (setq mm-alternative-precedence
>       (append (delete "text/html" mm-alternative-precedence)  '("text/html")))
> to make sure that I keep all the other features that are in the precedence
> list.

You could always modify your default Emacs/W3 stylesheet to be more
gnus-y. :)

-bp